logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 08:11:08 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Virian Book Club

Eric Schlosser
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Eric Schlosser  (Read 842 times)
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
Eric Schlosser
« on: 2005-04-17 23:14:53 »

Eric Schlosser is a reporter that wrote two non-fiction "muck-raking" novels.  They are Fast Food Nation and Reefer Madness.  For the life of me i can't see much relevance between these books and memetics, though their popularity and eloquence might have repurcussions in the vegan meme, and the legalize drugs meme's future. 

Fast Food Nation is about the meat industry in America, and it is an eye-opener for anyone new to the brutality.  I suppose it is not exactly counter-intuitive to figure that the slaughterhouses are nasty and unsafe, but this book makes the case that nothing much has changed since Upton Sinclair's time.  I wonder if meat production will ever be automated by artificial intelligence expert systems people.  If so, how freaky it'd be. 
Reefer Madness is about the drug culture in America, and its various sides.  In it the life of police, drug users, and drug dealers (why not drug business men?  is this memetic engineering, or what?) is analyzed.  One thing pointed out was the uneveness of American drug punishments with one example being a congressman's son who was threatened with a relatively light sentence and his intervention (tear soaked intervention) saved his boy.  I think Schlosser is a memetic engineer of high caliber, and i think his heart is in the right place. 

If you've read these books, feel free to post.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: