logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-04 06:06:23 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

Disownment and DiP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Disownment and DiP  (Read 1187 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Disownment and DiP
« on: 2003-10-04 19:22:00 »

http://virus.lucifer.com/wiki/Disownment

Introduction

Disownment is the ultimate action taken by the Church of Virus to protect itself at the culmination of a disciplinary process.
<snip>

http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=voteResults;idvote=34 > the vote was in favour of accepting the policy of disownment. The total number of people who voted is 17. Total members now is 50. The vote is closed. Is it possible to reopen this and considering that disownment is part of DiP, maybe we should have a vote on DiP before we reopen the Disownment Vote.

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Disownment and DiP
« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-04 20:17:59 »

As all Virians were invited to join the system and had the ability to join the system at its commencement, the system represented the view of non-apathetic VirianVectors at that time. The procedures for revoting on issues is in the process of being established and will be introduced when we have had time to fully document and discuss it. For current thinking you might examine the WikiPageStatus and VirianVoting threads on the Wiki where process and protocol is being established.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
ElvenSage
Adept

Rate ElvenSage

Think for yourself, question authority.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-04 20:33:59 »

I agree, something that has that kind of importance should be kept open for a good period of time.  Maybe we should assign "importance" ratings to votes, and by that we'll have a system that closes the vote after a certain period of time?

Safe from the pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See.. they don't give a fuck about you, like i do.
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go Back to sleep
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-04 20:56:09 »

[ElvenSage] I agree, something that has that kind of importance should be kept open for a good period of time.

[Hermit] It was. It was also announced on the BBS and maillist. The procedure to establish and adjudicate votes is documented at http://virus.lucifer.com/wiki/VirianVoting and http://virus.lucifer.com/wiki/WikiVote.

[ElvenSage] Maybe we should assign "importance" ratings to votes, and by that we'll have a system that closes the vote after a certain period of time?

[Hermit] I suggest reviewing the above documents. Your concerns may be addressed there.

[Hermit] In addition, you might find http://virus.lucifer.com/wiki/WorkInVoting where the revoting policy is discussed illuminating. Currently it asserts
Quote:
Once an official document of the Church of Virus has been accepted by a vote or rejected by a vote, it may only be challenged by a VirianVector establishing an alternative document or documents and then establishing a poll (60% quorum:simple majority vote) on the httpVirian Voting Page which includes links to the wikipages in question.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-04 22:07:56 »

[Hermit]As all Virians were invited to join the system and had the ability to join the system at its commencement, the system represented the view of non-apathetic VirianVectors at that time. The procedures for revoting on issues is in the process of being established and will be introduced when we have had time to fully document and discuss it. For current thinking you might examine the WikiPageStatus and VirianVoting threads on the Wiki where process and protocol is being established.

[Mermaid]Cant we just reopen the vote? It seems such a waste of time to start establishing yet another procedure. Since disownment is part of DiP, maybe we should just establish a vote for accepting or rejecting DiP.
Kid-A
Adept

Rate Kid-A

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-05 08:47:46 »

I don't think the vote should be reopened, as you can still vote on closed subjects (It should be made clear that you can still do this)
If the vote changes significantly after closing, then and only then should it be reopened.
But seriously it should be clearer if you can still vote on a closed subject.

Regards

Kid

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-05 10:57:27 »

i get it..I can vote on a topic that is 'closed'. But why does it say that it is 'closed'? Does it mean that I can vote but the decision wont be reversed?

Some clarification, please?
Kid-A
Adept

Rate Kid-A

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-05 13:57:57 »

I recall a chat with David in #virus a while ago about closed votes, I think he said he was leaving it so you can still vote for a subject even though it is closed, just so he could see how votes might change over time, whether they will be re-opened if it changes significantly i'm uncertain, have to leave that one up to David to decide, or maybe somebody should bring it up in the scheduled chat.
Err I think the idea of it being labelled closed is mostly so you can't change your vote anymore, but the result can still change as more people become members and vote.

Regards

Kid
« Last Edit: 2003-10-05 14:17:44 by Kid-A » Report to moderator   Logged

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
RE: virus: Re:Disownment and DiP
« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-05 14:18:44 »

Kid-A
> Sent: 05 October 2003 1958

> I recall a chat with David in #virus a while ago about closed votes, I
> think he said he was leaving it so you can still vote for a subject
even
> though it is closed, just so he could see how votes might change over
> time, whether they will be re-opened if it changes significantly i'm
> uncertain, have to leave that one up to David to decide, or maybe
somebody
> should bring it up in the scheduled chat.
[Blunderov]
Perhaps it would be better to describe such a topic as being
'open-ended' rather than closed?
Just a thought.
Best regards

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: