logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-20 21:05:59 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

Mars closer to Earth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Mars closer to Earth  (Read 739 times)
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Mars closer to Earth
« on: 2003-08-02 19:34:57 »

I am copy/pasting this from the skeptics' newsletter.

MARS SPECTACULAR

This announcement is going around the net. Sharpen your telescopes!

Never again in our lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular. This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share this! No one alive today will ever see this again.

Report to moderator   Logged
Kid-A
Adept

Rate Kid-A

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Mars closer to Earth
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-06 16:14:12 »

Yay! finally i can go home!

Kid
Report to moderator   Logged

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: