logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-17 02:58:55 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

virus: An Essay All Should Read
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: An Essay All Should Read  (Read 396 times)
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
virus: An Essay All Should Read
« on: 2003-03-12 19:51:31 »

[[ author reputation (1.72) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:virus: An Essay All Should Read
« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-13 16:20:09 »

Not content with posting this article (unlinked) on the Serious Business Board and advocating it in the Pit, Joe Dees has posted a (broken) link to it on the list, despite this having been declared "off-topic" - an issue he was reminded of only yesterday (ref [ David Lucifer, "Re:Requiem Dees - In the pit", Reply #21, 2003-03-11 ] ). The (lengthy) article in question is, in my opinion, filled with errors of fact, invalid argument, logical fallacy, improbable conclusions, contorted justifications and gungho advocacy of gunboat diplomacy a la USA. While the above may explain why it appeals to Joe Dees and his ilk, I do not think that Dees' wish to propagate his toxic memeset is any justification for him to clutter my mail with off-topic material in what appears to be a deliberate slap in the face for the CoV and our founder and sponsor.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-13 16:39:59 »

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-13 17:03:03 »

I do not need to support my opinion, carefully demarkated as such. Others will value it - or reject it - as they will. They don't have to be told about it. Just as they will your attempted insults.

Allegedly memetic or not, the article should not have been posted here. I notice that you do not address that in any way. I expect no less.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-13 17:31:15 »

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-13 20:08:40 »

Your jibes about "support"  are unfounded and simply reflect that you seem to be under a fundamental misunderstanding.

Opinion is one's own, and need not be supported, although a polite request might gain an explanation of why an opinion is held in order to allow somebody else the ability to evaluate it, and a failure to do so might lessen the regard for that opinion. On the other hand, to be rational, an assertion has to be supportable, and must be supported on request, in order for the asserter to retain any credibility. Due to your, by now renowned, inability to support your assertions, coupled with your liking for invective and special pleading for sympathy when it is returned, your credibility has, in my opinion, shrunk to nothing. (See here is an example of an opinion which is supported by providing the reasons why I hold it. But I didn't have to do that for it to be valid. Others can take it or leave it as they choose).

On the other hand, as an example, when I say you are a plagiarist, I am making an assertion. An assertion which I have supported in the [  Re:Goering on War, Reply #12, 2003-03-13 ] thread and, of course, anyone can confirm the matter by simply examining the evidence of your posts.  Now, had I not already provided referenced support - as was the case in my post on the same thread, at [  Re:Goering on War, Reply #10, 2003-03-12 ] I should have had to do so on request - or have lost my claim to both credibility and rationality.

Now, when you make assertions about my intent, it is clear that you cannot support them. Thus your assertions are risable, deserve and will receive no response, but had my opinion of you not already been so low it can drop no further, you would have lost some respect. Had you simply provided your opinion, and founded it if politely requested to do so, it might have been accepted by those who think the sun emanates from your fundamental orrifice (somehow bypassing your head) and imagine that you might have a valid opinion about something, and ignored by those who, like me, think you are a fuckwit and that while you appear grossly opinionated, your opinions are worthless.

Now, having established that, there is no "Pope of Virus" and I suggest that it is highly unlikely to happen anytime in the near future. So available evidence proves that your assetions are wrong. This would tend to reduce the value of your opinion in the eyes of any who might think it has one, not that I think that many such exist.

Finally, I am not attempting to suggest what "memetically inclined articles should and should not be posted here", your unsustainable assertions to the contrary. Nor have I ever done so or had any desire to do so.  It is simply the case that the subject to which your link refered has been declared formally off-topic. Whether or not it has, as you suggest, and I would dispute, "memetic value" is irrelevant to the case. I have about as much wish to receive links to neocon articles as I wish to see them plastered all over my inbox. I am sure I speak for many when I say this. Which is why this topic was banned. Period. No matter what justifications you may attempt to trot out for it, and no matter how much you desire to slap everyone here bar just about me for ignoring you.

And guess what? I too am now ignoring you. You may not have not left the CoV, despite numerous (and open) invitations. It has, through your actions, left you.

Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-13 20:34:18 »

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: