logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-04 03:59:04 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

Re: Shermer becomes a psychic in one day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Re: Shermer becomes a psychic in one day  (Read 542 times)
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re: Shermer becomes a psychic in one day
« on: 2003-01-20 13:49:50 »

[rhinoceros]
In the latest skeptic newsletter, Michael Shermer tells us the story of how he became a psychic in one day. I have posted the full text on the BBS here:

http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27652

<snip>

Although the day of the taping was set weeks in advance, I did absolutely nothing to prepare until the day before. This made me especially nervous because psychic readings are a form of acting, and good acting takes talent and practice. And I made matters even harder on myself by convincing Bill and the producers that if we were going to do this we should use a number of different psychic modalities, including Tarot cards, palm reading, astrology, and psychic mediumship, under the theory that these are all "props" used to stage a psychodrama called cold reading (reading someone "cold" without any prior knowledge). I am convinced more than ever that cheating (getting information ahead of time on subjects) is not a necessary part of a successful reading.

<snip>

The Partial Facts of Cold Reading My primary source for all of the readings was Ian Rowland's insightful and encyclopedic The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading (now in a 3rd edition available at www.ian-rowland.com).

<snip>

After the general statement and personality assessment, I went for specific comments lifted straight from Rowland's list of high probability guesses. These include items found in the subject's home:

A box of old photographs, some in albums, most not in albums Old medicine or medical supplies out of date Toys, books, mementoes from childhood Jewelry from a deceased family member Pack of cards, maybe a card missing Electronic gizmo or gadget that no longer works Notepad or message board with missing matching pen Out of date note on fridge or near the phone Books about a hobby no longer pursued Out of date calendar Drawer that is stuck or doesn't slide properly Keys that you can't remember what they go to Watch or clock that no longer works

And peculiarities about the person:

Scar on knee Number 2 in the home address Childhood accident involving water Clothing never worn Photos of loved ones in purse Wore hair long as a child, then shorter haircut One earring with a missing match

I added one of my own to great effect: "I see a white car." All of my subjects were able to find a meaningful connection to a white car. As I was reading this list on the flight to Seattle the morning of the reading, I was amazed to discover how many flight attendants and people around me validated them.

<snip>

In the post-reading interview Melanie said that she had been going to psychics for over ten years trying to resolve this business with her father, and that mine was the single best reading she had ever had.

Wow! That made my psychic day.

I can only imagine what I could do with more experience. Give me six hours of day of practice for a couple of months and I have no doubt that I could host a successful syndicated television series and increase by orders of magnitude my bank balance.

<snip>
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: