logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 19:49:23 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Saint Alan Turing 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Saint Alan Turing 1.1  (Read 844 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Saint Alan Turing 1.1
« on: 2010-02-20 07:35:04 »

This is a locked thread with one post. To vote on Alan Turing as a saint go to http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=voteResults;idvote=95

Re: The demise of the first Saint Alan Turing thread.http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43266

Yes, I locked it, and deleted my posts, effectively ending that particular conversation which was the point. I've never done that before, and I hope to never do it again. Its an extreme thing to do, no doubt, but it was the only way to effectively extract myself, my name, and my support from what has essentially become Hermit's project. Everyone else's posts are still there. As far as I can tell all of Hermit's quotes of me on there are technically accurate as far as they go, but taken out of context. (with the exception of where he allegedly quotes me saying, "becaus he is teh gey!" That was Hermit's pure fabrication.) Hermit's interpretation of me that I wished our wiki to be exclusively or even primarily about Turing's death and homosexuality was simply never true. Of course we never got around to actually writing any wiki.

Re: Alan Turing

My position regarding Turing sainthood is and always has been that his work and accomplishments more than sufficiently qualify him as a Saint. Hermit has somehow convinced himself that I have ulterior motives of championing Alan Turing because he's a "gay Icon". That's not true, however, considering the circumstances of his death, I don't really see any way to avoid at least some mention of homosexuality and suicide. That was mostly the gist of my side of the conversation up to the point I deleted my posts.

Re: wiki

We did a wikipage for Hypatia when we sainted her. Considering the very small quantity of source material on her and her relative obscurity compared to Darwin, a certain amount of information and interpretation seemed appropriate. Hermit drew up some procedures at that time which we used for Hypatia's circumstances. We never finalized these procedures for any future Saints, although Hermit has proposed them as such. Alan Turing's life is far better documented and recent than either Darwin or Hypatia and is easily researched on the Internet - as Blunderov commented Turing is the grandfather of the "intertubes". We all know who he is and he needs no interpretation. A simple up or down Meridion vote is appropriate.

Re: Hermit

On the second post of the thread Hermit suggested the same wikipage procedure for Turing, and since it seemed like a simple enough if unnecessary thing at the time I considered it for the sake of maintaining consensus with him, and so this was the context of the rest of the now-defunct thread. I didn't realize that Hermit would use the rest of the thread and the wiki procedure to develop his justifications for reversing his support for Alan Turing, pontificating about how enlightened he is about sexuality in general, and that this enlightenment would cause him to nobly oppose Alan Turing's sainthood because Turing is a "gay icon". Feeling rather duped by Hermit's strategy - he after all started out "You have no disagreement on Alan Turing from me, indeed, I have proposed him a saint before" - I removed my participation in Hermit's soliloquy by deleting my posts and locking the thread. If his is such a compelling treatise, he doesn't need me to sponsor or help him make it. All of his material is still there if he wants to paste it into his own efforts.

Re: Turing Discussion

I welcome anyone else to start a discussion thread on Turing, I'm just not going sponsor or participate in one until the vote is determined one way or another.

Re: unlocking the thread.

I've been asked numerous times by Hermit and Mermaid to unlock the thread and I've considered it a couple of times since, but you can stop wasting the effort. The BBS lists me as the creator of the thread, and so I'm not going to allow my name to be associated with any further discussion there. I'm never unlocking that thread.

« Last Edit: 2010-02-20 12:50:56 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: