logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 23:06:07 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

When Vision and Empathy collide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: When Vision and Empathy collide  (Read 2062 times)
Billroh@churchofvirus.com

When Vision and Empathy collide
« on: 2002-04-02 19:14:02 »

Have you ever found yourself in an unenviable position where your vision of the future means that people will suffer as a result of your choice?

Do not rush to say "no" for this collision encompasses a great deal.  Our thirst for competition often leads to a situation where vision and empathy may not seem compatible. Our efforts of forced social cooperation often lead to poor production and unachievable social goals that our vision once saw as probable.

Capitalism for instance often puts people in the position of choosing between the environment and convenience or even lives and profit. War often causes people to make short term decisions for or against action  that later affect, for better or worse, the quality of life for millions of people.

Balance, as in so many of life's other endevours, is vital to the most effective use of our virtues. Let history be a teacher, but only one of them. Let boldness be a teacher as well, but still only one of them. History is not made by the historians, but by those with a vision of the future.

Let your vision describe your possibilities.
Let your heart, your empathy, set the goals.
Use the tool of reason to guide you to your goals, refine your vision and contain your empathy.

As soon as I accomplish this, I'll let everyone know.
« Last Edit: 2002-04-02 19:15:30 by Bill Roh » Report to moderator   Logged
geneligman
Neophyte

I like the premise here, but reserve my judgement.

View Profile
Re:When Vision and Empathy collide
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-09 14:08:25 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

-gl-
CyberGouki

« Reply #2 on: 2002-08-16 17:48:29 »

I have to agree. But doesn't it then come down to hipocracy? People preach peace and cooperation, but how many people can actually match their words with their actions? I know that I am against violence and war, but I've never been put in a situation where those values were strained. It's the whole "punch the pacifist to see if he hits back" routine.
CyberCypher
Neophyte

judasrocka15
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-13 22:24:04 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-26 22:36:34 »

Well, perhaps that is where Reason comes in.

My difficulty is with students. I have a vision of them in their future lives, after my math class. I have empathy with them in that they would suffer less if I would adhere to the school system we are in.

Around September, everything 'clicked' with me on understanding, language and everything else. I couldn't speak human. I chose to follow the Vision, and the long-term empathy - that it was better for their future - outweighed the short-term empathy.

Of course, I am not in a position where I am killing these students for the long-term benefit of society.

As a jew, I feel that it is probably okay for me to use a holocaust metaphor - I'm sure Hitler and kin believed that they were doing society a favor in the long run to kill certain humans in the short run.

So reason comes in. I think that what the metavirus - church of the virus and level 3 and all the other metacogs - is going to parse down to is:

"It's the ends and the means, together."

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-30 20:03:39 »

Well,  I am cautious when i think, "fight for resources" .Whether we want to believe that we are achieving anything through war you have to understand that you are missing empathy of course, fighting for resources is looking for what you need to survive to propagate the species, you never move the species along in the evolutionary scale if you eliminate them. Napoleon said that there is a problem in a system that their actions contradict their words and I believe that is true. So what is the purpose then to say "peace" and promote war as a means. Have the ends truly justified the means? have we truly undestood the ends that have been tried to achieve?

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: