logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 23:45:10 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed  (Read 1816 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
« on: 2008-05-02 21:25:53 »

Essentially, the movie states that Darwin is responsible for the Holocaust. Darwin and 'Big Science'. Dawkins must fancy himself a media celebrity these days...he makes an appearance too...

and oh...you can thank Discovery Institute for this. bonus: they are offering schools $10k if they bring the kids to see the movie. I suppose now they can get school supplies that Dubya denied them after emptying their coffers to fund the war on terror..

wikip entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is a controversial 2008 independent documentary film which claims that "Big Science" suppresses criticism of both the evidence for evolution and the modern evolutionary synthesis, which is the theory explaining this evidence. The film, hosted by Ben Stein, contends that this scientific theory contributed to the Nazi Holocaust, communism, atheism and Planned Parenthood. Furthermore, the film claims that American educators and scientists who believe that there might be evidence of intelligent design in nature are being persecuted for these beliefs.[..]

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-03 02:14:23 »

[Blunderov] I had not previously seen the expression 'big science' as anything other than a reference to the Laurie Anderson record* of that name. I read somewhere that someone involved in or on the periphery of the recording process misheard the phrase 'big signs' as 'big science' and Laurie decided that it was an improvement and retained it.

Now I see that there is a Wikipedia article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Science ) which claims that the expression "is a term used by scientists and historians of science to describe a series of changes in science which occurred in industrial nations during and after World War II." Unfortunately no attribution or other confirmation is provided for this assertion but it does seem entirely reasonable to suppose that the phrase is a natural cousin of other similar phrases eg big business or big government and that it must have predated the Laurie Anderson recording.

The intention behind the Discovery Institutes' exploitation of the term seems deliberately perjurative; "The era of Big Science has provoked criticism that it undermines the basic principles of the scientific method." This accusation, that the proper methods of science have been ignored, is much beloved by Creationists everywhere because they have no other means of undermining the vast array of scientific evidence which is massed against them. They cling limpet-like to the notion that any given theory is, acording to their entirely ignorant notion of the 'scientific method', just as valid as any other no matter how stupid. To assert otherwise, they claim, is to subvert the objectivity necessary to the pursuit of science.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jimmyd/laurie-anderson/lyrics/bs.html

Big Science

Coo coo it's cold outside.

Coo coo it's cold outside.

Ooo coo coo. Don't forget your mittens. Hey Pal! How do I get to town from here? And he said: Well just take a right where they're going to build that new shopping mall, go straight past where they're going to put in the freeway, take a left at what's going to be the new sports center, and keep going until you hit the place where they're thinking of building that drive-in bank. You can't miss it. And I said: This must be the place.

Ooo coo coo. Golden cities. Golden towns. Golden cities. Golden towns. And long cars in long lines and great **big signs** and they all say: Hallelujah. Yodellayheehoo. Every man for himself.

Ooo coo coo. Golden cities. Golden towns. Thanks for the ride. Big Science. Hallelujah. Big Science. Yodellayheehoo. You know. I think we should put some mountains here. Otherwise, what are all the characters going to fall off of? And what about stairs? Yodellayheehoo.

Ooo coo coo. Here's a man who lives a life of danger. Everywhere he goes he stays - a stranger. Howdy stranger. Mind if I smoke? And he said: Every man, every man for himself. Every man, every man for himself. All in favor say aye. Big Science. Hallelujah. Big Science. Yodellayheehoo. Hey Professor! Could you turn out the lights? Let's roll the film. Big Science. Hallelujah. Every man, every man for himself. Big Science. Hallelujah. Yodellayheehoo.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Science_(album)

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-06 22:48:14 »

Quote:
[Mermaid]and oh...you can thank Discovery Institute for this. bonus: they are offering schools $10k if they bring the kids to see the movie. I suppose now they can get school supplies that Dubya denied them after emptying their coffers to fund the war on terror..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Institute
<snip>The institute was founded in 1990[12] as a non-profit educational foundation and think tank based upon the Christian apologetics of C. S. Lewis. It was founded as a branch of the Hudson Institute, an Indianapolis-based conservative think tank, and is named after the Royal Navy ship HMS Discovery in which George Vancouver explored Puget Sound in 1792.<snip>

[Fritz] Thx 'Mermaid' I had missed the existence of the movie and the term 'Big Science' and then had to giggle when I found the 'snip' from Wiki on the origins of  the Discovery Institute in spite of its' rather sad function. I am astounded minute by minute how the English language can be twisted; surely 'Discovery' inculcates the positive experiences of science and learning, yet another jaded notch in my rather chipped away walking stick of life.

Quote:
[Blunderrov]<snip>according to their entirely ignorant notion of the 'scientific method',<snip>
[Fritz]yes,yes,yes,absolutely Yet How ? can this self evident, to me as well, be so unbelievably missing from so many souls on the this precious planet. Having breakfast this morning at the local greasy spoon, where I have been so many mornings for so many years a friend and I were discussing how a friends house sale was dragging on and how we could help move the sale along. The waitress that had served us so many times over the years that we have 'kabbitst' with for so many years stopped and directed us to go St. Patrick's Cathedral around the corner, get a 'little Joesph' figurine in the gift shop and get the Priest to bless it and put it in the garden of the house we are trying to sale and it would sell immediately. In the past I would have chuckled and given it no further thought, but now, I look at the waitress whom I have grown fond of over the years and respect with absolute bewilderment, since she was sincere in her proclamation.

I am simply unable to grasp it.

To real Discovery, Finding out Why and a Journey ... Amen

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-07 09:23:34 »

I am assuming you will sell in spring or early summer, there are other strategies for winter, but spring with the roses blooming is by far the best time to sell. There is probably still time for a much more effective set of sales strategies than the use of a shaman, although it probably requires a greater investment and ideally would have been prepared for through the winter. The strategies in question were invented by a top sales person who used to buy, live in and sell houses on an annual basis at a massive profit. Identifying his strategies and naming them is my fault. I call them "The Rose Job," "The Paint Job," "The Light Job", "The Scent Job," "Comfort factor" and "Effective Pricing" respectively.
  • Effective Pricing: Begin by inviting two sales people who have sold a house within 8 blocks of the one to be sold in the past year to visit. Explain to them that you are thinking of a reasonably quick sale and if they would be interested in handling the sale for you, what they think they could fetch for you. Do not tell them what you have in mind as you hope to keep them middling honest. Ask them how long since they sold a house within 8 blocks of yours. Assuming that your market has been behaving like most of the USA, subtract 2% per month since their last sale to get an effective price. Take the average of the two estimates as your base price.
  • The Rose Job: Go to a local nursery and buy rose bushes. Plant a profusion of them everywhere. Add 10% of the base price to the selling price so long as the roses are blooming when the sale is closed. Place color adds on local bulletin boards and in the local press the day the roses open.
  • The Paint Job: For added effect, slap a coat of paint using the same color as it currently has, but with 5% black added, onto the house inside and out. This makes it positively sparkle and is also worth 10% of the base price.
  • The Light Job: If you have performed The Paint Job, buy daylight bulbs for every fixture and fit them. This greatly adds to the effectiveness of the paint job. Add 5% of the base price.
  • The Scent Job: Buy oranges and apples. Eat an orange every day, and introduce some orange peel to the kitchen sink's disposal trap. Cut an apple into 1cm^3 blocks and boil them in a pot holding 2lt of water until the water is gone. The apple chunks can be pureed and eaten or merely thrown away. Add 5% of the base price to the selling price.
  • Comfort Factor: Before showing the house, operate all the water fittings till they run clear, then if the house has an AC, reduce the inside temperature to 70F.

Note that "Effective Pricing" will generally reduce the asking value of the house as owners typically over-value their own assets, but that the other strategies tend to increase the asking price - while at the same time making the house much more attractive to buyers for a quick closing. Interestingly, the buyers generally won't be able to tell the agent why they like the house even at the increased price, but will instead insist simply that "they like this house".

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS I have heard the term, "big science" used, usually by chemists and pretty scathingly, with respect to accelerators, super colliders and other costly toys for physicists.

PPS American Christians tend to be completely unaware of Hitler's deeply religious outlook or even "Home, Family and Church" as the backdrop to the Nazi excesses; but are instead still completely stuck on the Allied WW II propaganda of the Reich as being based in some kind of pagan beliefs, but definitely different from the Catholicism and Protestantism of the Allies even though Nazi Germany depended on them and derived many of their nastier ideas and practices from them (bearing in mind that the Pogrom is a not so ancient religious practice no matter how much the churches of today might decry the idea). The protoFAQ [ Church of Virus BBS, General, FAQ, FAQ: Hitler the "Good Christian", Hermit, 2002-03-14 ] might be helpful in addressing this aspect.
« Last Edit: 2008-05-07 12:10:10 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-07 22:34:45 »

[Blunderov]Ooo coo coo. Golden cities. Golden towns. Golden cities. Golden towns. And long cars in long lines and great **big signs** and they all say: Hallelujah. Yodellayheehoo. Every man for himself.
[Fritz]It is amazing how many times you hear a song but these words had never registered. Thx

[Hermit]PPS American Christians tend to be completely unaware of Hitler's deeply religious outlook or even "Home, Family and Church" as the backdrop to the Nazi excesses;
[Fritz]When I'm feeling particularly positive about the world I have been found leafing between the the English translation and the original "Meine Kampf" and I always come away noting that Hitler was not in any shape way or form a gifted or accomplished writer;  but his inculcation into Western Christendom is I think apparent to me as well, agreed.

I liked your link Hermit and exchange on it.
I get the indoctrination we all have undergone in the western world since it is a Judeo/Christian culture we are in, and Hitler was no exception; but still, at a gut level how many sentient beings can't get past the smoke and mirrors, is it a harsh reality of the western way of teaching or is there really a "God Gene" and is it the culprit. The "Religious/God Meme" is well documented at CoV, but is it enough ... I'm still struggling with that.

I would also highly recommend:
Richard Noll 1997 The Aryan Christ,
Random House, NY. ISBN 0-679-44945-0
http://www.dhushara.com/book/jung/archr.htm
It does a great job of framing socially and intellectually what was going in Europe 1850 to 1950.

[Hermit]<snip>Live in and sell houses on an annual basis at a massive profit. Identifying his strategies and naming them is my fault. I call them<snip>
[Fritz]Great suggestions and I will pass them on. Thx.
The part of the conversation that the waitress hadn't heard was the 85 tires and 6 vehicles that had to be removed from the property to get the sales 'project' started. :-) ... seriously, I heard banjo music when I was there ... "Blessed little Joseph" would need some powerful mojo and a tow truck... :-0.

A treat as always !

Cheers

Fritz

PS: I see the conflict in the middle east is up and at it again- "the Road to Iran" has begun in Lebanon ?

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
davidbrettin
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-30 23:53:08 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: