logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-17 23:02:00 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Creative Endeavors

Friday the 13th and another year older:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Friday the 13th and another year older:  (Read 2410 times)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Friday the 13th and another year older:
« on: 2009-03-16 21:02:28 »

I guess most of the humiliation has passed and it is okey to post this little true story now

Friday the 13th continued and another year older:

I should have known adventures awaited me, and to heed the feeling of aging doom, just lie down, avoid  Friday the 13th. Yet a cup of tea was called for, I set the kettle under the drinking water tap, but on the counter rather then in the sink, which was full of dishes.

The phone then rang and the washing machine was beeping, so off I went and dealt with the phone call and attended to the unbalanced load of towels which I should have done in two loads, but then living dangerously, what the heck.

So I ambled back up stairs and plunked myself down in front of the TV, noting in a puzzled way, that a cup of tea would be good about now, and wandered what the tinkling sound from the kitchen was, ...shit ... dashed out to the kitchen to an over flowing kettle and a small waterfall off the end of the counter.

Well the counter got cleaned, and stuff was put away, and soggy stuff was tossed out, and eventually a cup of tea was born ... airhead I thought... and plodded on.

Shortly there after I struck off to town, to the Post Office to get the mail, I got into the car, had my hydro parka on, big and bulky, usually with a trip too Ottawa I let the heated seats tied me over, till the engine heat is available, but not today, it was February cold. I reached back to get the keys which somehow I had managed to drop on the floor while trying to get them out of the coat pocket and then, proceeded to tip my second cup of tea, did I mention I made a second cup for the drive, all over and into the counsel in my pride and joy, the baby, 1991 MB 300E ... milk and sugar and tea oozing into everything .... I never made it to the post office  ....you  idiot…  I thought, while cleaning and mopping up the mess knowing the once spring arrived the console would have to be dismantled and cleaned properly … sigh.

The kids came by that night to wish me a Happy Birthday and we hung out, ate, talked and enjoyed the company …. after which I slide safely into bed.

Saturday, we were greeted by a beautiful sunny day. We exchanged Valentines over breakfast, reveling in the heart felt love and caring we shared. My wife's cold had gotten the best of her, so she headed back to bed and I said I would organize dinner and we would see each other then.

There was still the matter of the accumulated dishes, that had never been totally dealt with ( no, we would not get the Good House Keeping seal of approval ), that seemed like a good place to start before heading out for the grocery store.

I never made it to the grocery store, ... I was filling the kitchen sink with dish soap and water when I heard the dryer beep, from the load of towels from the night before, that I had finally put into the dryer. So while the sink filled I thought I'd grab the towels and toss them into a laundry basket bring them up stairs to fold after the dishes were done.

Now clearly I'm distracted easily, because since I was in the basement I thought I would hit the freezer to get the fixings out for dinner and save a trip. Freezers, as it turns out are interesting places and can be engaging for someone like me ... yet I did notice the dripping sound of water in the basement; turns out the kitchen floor is less then water tight and lead me to thinking way this would be ....

... I dashed up stairs, and right out of a 'I Love Lucy' episode, a wall of suds was making its way across the expanse of the kitchen and greeting me in the hallway. I managed to avoid the inevitable pratfall in the suds and got the water turned off ... what to do .... what to do ... dashed back down stairs to get the hamper of dry towels and yup ... began cleaning up the kitchen disaster .... in the end the kitchen floor got a long over due wash, and since I could not finish the dishes, the floor was still wet. A strategically located vacuum cleaner beside the mop had gotten my attention, so the house got vacuumed and straightened as well. The towels got a second washing.

In the middle of all this I had managed to cobble together a fishermen's pie from frozen salmon I had earlier noticed in the freezer, boiled and mashed potatoes, boiled and mashed squash also spotted in the freezer, and mixed vegetables, and slide the concoction into the oven. Frozen dinner rolls were now returning to life as well, and the table was set.

Ding ... Dong...; a couple of good friends were at the door, they were just passing through to wish me a happy birthday and dropped of a delicious rum cake and wine ... things were actually coming together. The chocolate moose I had whipped up would be perfect on the cake. I hadn't made it to town, so the wine was perfect timing.

The stove beeped its sound of approval announcing the dinner was ready.

Oh yes ... my wife .... tap tap tap .... no response .... slipped quietly into the darkened bedroom to announce dinner was served .... she had noticed the vacuum for a brief second, but nothing else, still feeling sick, apologized rolled over, and went back to sleep.

Somehow watching Steve Martin's the 'JERK' while eating my fishermen's pie alone, seemed to bring it all full circle and rather then risk further mayhem  ..... I was sound asleep by 22:00 hours and very clearly half way to 108 years old.

Cheers

Fritz
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Friday the 13th and another year older:
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-16 23:44:10 »

A belated happy bath night and deep felt condolences over the MB's shower. The rest of it sounded so much like a regular day of mayhem in our household that sympathy is difficult to find, lest we drown in self-pity.

Kindest Regards and many more

Hermit & Co
« Last Edit: 2009-03-16 23:45:11 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-17 01:15:59 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2009-03-16 21:02:28   

<snip>
"...to heed the feeling of aging doom, just lie down, avoid  Friday the 13th."
Cheers

Fritz

Have you resolved to trust and heed said "feelings" with a tad more alacrity henceforth Fritz?

Happy Birthday you young whippersnapper (54)
from
Walter (55)

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-17 13:33:18 »

Happy Birthday Fritz ... and the lesson for the story is ... stay away from tea.

:D
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2009-03-21 13:55:55 »

Quote:
[Iolo Morganwg]... stay away from tea.

Requiem to a Teapot as recommended ... Satisfying I might add :-)

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: