logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 12:57:35 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Humor & Satire

Fame
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Fame  (Read 1701 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Fame
« on: 2006-09-04 07:02:46 »

[Blunderov] I will not let it change me. I will still keep all my friend.

"The Scamorama book is at long last coming out.

The Skamtrak blurb is included (slightly edited for length), in the chapter "Extreme Anti-Scamming."
You are acknowledged as “Blunderov” (Saviour of the Universe 
Vapourware Ventures (Pty) Ltd.)  :-)

If you would like a review (=free) copy,  send me your address and I'll ask the publisher to send you a copy directly.

Scamalicious regards!"

SKAMTRAK - SOME VAPORWARE IS BETTER THAN OTHERS
updated aug 22

A Kindly Contributor in South Africa describes how he responds to Lad Letters:
" I send this document as an attachment to my reply.
It is based on the probably quite well known hoax that encourages PC users
to delete a perfectly harmless OS file from their systems at their own confused
volition. It would be nice if I could add an applet or two; say a progress bar
stating that it was 'uploading' and that 'GPS Satellite tracking' had been activated...
It is my earnest hope that some mugu will actually try and convince the FBI
that they qualify for 'compensation'!"

UPDATE: Another Kindly Contributor, "Fred Flintstone", has done just that - sort of
See the links at the bottom.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to our legal obligations under both USA and EEU law, we are obliged to inform you that, by opening this attachment, you have installed SkamTrak™ on your system. You are hereby notified that SkamTrak™ will activate itself within 48 hours of this installation.

SkamTrak™ is Policeware sanctioned for use by both Interpol and the FBI, and is used to record and trace e-mail transactions which are reasonably suspected of being used in fraudulent operations on the internet.

By arrangement with the major anti-virus and anti-spyware vendors (Norton, McAfee, XBlock and others) their products will not alert users to the presence of SkamTrak™ on a computer system.

Evidence obtained by SkamTrak™ is admissible in both USA and EEU courts. Because you have now been informed of its installation on your system, your further use of the system subsequent to this notification is deemed to constitute consent thereto.

Due to our obligations under the law, we must also inform you of the procedures necessary to remove SkamTrak™ from your system.

1: Make a backup of the address book of your e-mail client.
2: Delete the contents of your address book.
3: Using a printout from your backup, manually re-enter the addresses you wish to retain in your address book. NB: It is insufficient to simply restore the contents of your backup to the address book. The code for SkamTrak™ is written into the buffer zones of the technical headings of the addresses and will reactivate if a restore backup operation is performed.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that SkamTrak™ is compatible with all software platforms, there is the theoretical possibility that damage and/or loss of data may occur on some systems. If you feel that SkamTrak™ has damaged your system or caused you data and/or financial loss it is possible that you may qualify for compensation up to, but not exceeding, the amount of $5000.00 US.

Any claims or complaints in this regard should be lodged at:

[Bl.] (A helpful link to the FBI.)

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

Please include all relevant details including:
The date, nature and extent of the damage incurred, your contact details, and the amount that you wish to claim.

SkamTrak™ hopes that you will agree that radical measures are necessary to combat the growing phenomenon of internet-fraud, and asks for your cooperation and understanding in this endeavour.

SkamTrak™ - Skimming the Skam Skum for Safer Surfing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRED FLINTSTONE'S ENHANCEMENTS:

I saw the link on Scamorama about SkamTrak. The person who posted it thought progress bars would be nice. I made a flash movie that does just that. The URL is http:// GreedySmurf.2YA.com The uninstall button will crash Internet Explorer on a Windows system. I also made a full window entrance to the page at this http://tinyurl.com/jx4e/ Message914airegin.html The button "Bank Information" opens the site into a full screen with the only way out of the site is to Alt F4. I believe the full screen version only works on Internet Explorer on Windows. The install movie lasts about 30 sec ending with a car alarm going off. The menus buttons all have functions some with unexpected results. The size of the whole site is 88k and should load fast.

"Dear (scammer's name),

My message is here http://snurl.com/24fy"

We tried that. The web page pops up the text from the Kindly Contributor of SkamTrak, with a progress bar that tells you SkamTrak is being installed. You are given the option to cancel the install. If you try that, you get another interesting message

I have another idea along this line which I call "Get Police". This also has a full screen entrance to the page at this URL http:// tinyurl.com/jx5k The screen pops up with You are a Nigerian 419 scammer. I have a sound file go off after a few secs that starts with the car alarm then a woman's voice that says "Alert this person is a scammer call the police". The movie is 61 sec long with it crashing Internet Explorer after it completes it run. The only way to avoid the crash is to Alt F4 before the text stops spinning around

"Dear (scammer's name),

My message is here http://tinyurl.com/k8v4"

We tried this too. We visited Fred's page, then clicked on "bank info".
The link indeed opened up into a revolving Flash animation which reads "You are a 419 scammer". A voice says "This person is a scammer, call the police." It repeats and repeats.

Thanks for your page it's a great resource. I've got a couple of Lads doing projects with Fred right now.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Fred Flintstone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scam_baiting

Scam baiting
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Scam baiting is the practice of pretending interest in a fraudulent scheme in order to manipulate a scammer. The purpose of scam baiting might be to waste the scammers' time, embarrass them, cause them to reveal information which can be passed on to legal authorities in the hope that they will be prosecuted, get them to spend money, or simply to amuse the baiter.

Scam baiting emerged in response to e-mail based frauds such as the common Nigerian 419 scam. Many websites publish transcripts of correspondences between baiters and scammers, and also publish their "trophies" online, which include videos and images scam baiters claim to have obtained from scammers.

Scam baiting is almost always an Internet pastime, though scam baiters claim to have been the primary source of information for law enforcement officers in several scammer arrests.[citation needed]

Contents [hide]
1 Techniques
2 Results
3 Notes and References
4 See also
5 External links

[edit]
Techniques
One goal of scam baiting is to waste a scammer's time. If the scam artist is talking to a baiter they are not talking with a potential victim. These baits are referred to as "straight baits".[citation needed]

Other goals include the amusement of baiters and their readers. To that end, a common status symbol among scam baiters is the collection and display of a photographic "trophy," a picture ostensibly taken of the scammer, usually while holding custom made signs, or in odd poses with specific props (such as placing a fish on one's head). Other trophies can include documents such as oaths and pseudo legal documents, taken as the scammer as a step forward towards a hopeless goal.

Many scambaiters will also claim to have sent the scammers to a Western Union office repeatedly to collect the supposedly sent money or got scammers to book hotels for them. Others have had the crooks turn up at hotels, docks and airports expecting to greet their intended victims. In such cases the humour is extended by asking the scammers to request characters with peculiar or punning names.[citation needed]

A few baiters have also allegedly succeeded in receiving cash from the fraudsters (this is commonly referred to as cash baiting).[citation needed] This, however, is condemned by many scam baiters because it is illegal.[citation needed] Tom Craig, a former Scotland Yard officer, says that it would be unprecedented for 419 con artists to part with money and suggests that scam baiters could easily forge the scanty "evidence" of such successes.[1]

Scam baiters have also solicited telephone calls from scammers. These calls are usually intended to be humorous and to waste the scammer's time and money on an overseas call. Many audio recordings can be found on sites dedicated to scam baiting, documenting the conversations of the baiters with the scammers. More common is the practice of supplying the crooks with premium rate numbers and asking them to call repeatedly, citing various reasons why the supposed victim is unobtainable.

A further addition to the scambaiters' arsenal is to extend by stages the range of characters speaking to the scambaiter until he or she is faced by a battery of eccentrics, each demanding more and more of their time. Fictional characters used have included Bruce Wayne, The Thane of Cawdor, Mr. T, Marty McFly, Homer Simpson, HRH Princess Margaret, Marion Morrison and so on as well as the regular, entirely fabricated personalities and celebrities, such as David Lee Roth. [citation needed] The humour for those in the know lies in continuously protracting such absurd communications, including many numerous in-jokes, all whilst building a surreal tangle of supporting detail to stall any doubts.

[edit]
Results
Scam baiters claim that a beneficial side-effect of scam baiting has been the exposure of false and fraudulent "lottery," "banking" and "credit" services, which are often created by the scammers to further their scams and make them seem legitimate. Some scam baiters specialize in hunting down and "killing" these fake sites in order to remove one of the tools in the scammers' arsenal.[citation needed]

There are very few known cases of a scammer discovering the real identity of a scam baiter, since baiters always use fake e-mail accounts and are careful not to disclose any personal details. Some baiters claim that scammers have visited the fake addresses the baiter gave them.[citation needed]

Scam baiting can also be considered a type of sting operation, although most scambaits are simply trying to waste time instead of catching the scammer and may not fit the definition of a sting operation.[citation needed]

[edit]
Notes and References
^ Dan Damon. Turning the tables on Nigeria's email conmen. BBC. July 13, 2004.
[edit]
See also
Advance fee fraud
419eater.com
P-P-P-Powerbook
Internet vigilantism

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Fame
« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-05 04:03:45 »

[Blunderov] Come to think of it, I haven't received a 419 scam letter for quite some time. Have the Lads turned to more legitimate pusuits? Seems unlikely. Is this bleak isolation the product of my new and ringing  fame? Seems unlikely.

Talking of illegitimate pusuits...

http://www.scamorama.com/gwb.html

[edit]

THE BUSH VERSION
Authorship credited to Z. Grossman (zoltan@igc.org)

IMMEDIATE ATTENTION NEEDED: HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am George Walker Bush, son of the former President of the
United States of America George Herbert Bush, and currently
serving as President of the United States of America.  This
letter might surprise you because we have not met neither in
person nor by correspondence.  I came to know of you in my
search for a reliable and reputable person to handle a very
confidential business transaction, which involves the
transfer of a huge sum of money to an account requiring
maximum confidence.

I am writing you in absolute confidence primarily to seek
your assistance in acquiring oil funds that are presently
trapped in the Republic of Iraq.  My partners and I solicit
your assistance in completing a transaction begun by my
father, who has long been actively engaged in the extraction
of petroleum in the United States of America, and bravely
served his country as director of the United States Central
Intelligence Agency.

In the decade of the nineteen-eighties, my father, then
Vice-President of the United States of America, sought to
work with the good offices of the President of the Republic
of Iraq to regain lost oil revenue sources in the
neighbouring Islamic Republic of Iran.  This unsuccessful
venture was soon followed by a falling out with his Iraqi
partner, who sought to acquire additional oil revenue
sources in the neighbouring Emirate of Kuwait, a
wholly-owner US-British subsidiary.

My father re-seecured the petroleum assets of Kuwait in 1991
at a cost of sixty-one billion US dollars ($61,000,000,000).
Out of that cost, thirty-six billion dollars
($36,000,000,000) were supplied by his partners in the
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf monarchies,
and sixteen billio dollars ($16,000,000,000) by German and
Japanese partners.  But my father's former Iraqi business
partner remained in control of the Republic of Iraq and its
petroleum reserves.

My family is calling for your urgent assistance in funding
the removal of the President of the Republic of Iraq and
acquiring the petroleum assets of his country, as
compensation for removing him from power.  Unfortunately,
our partners from 1991 are not willing to shoulder the
burden of this new venture, which in its upcoming phase may
cost the sum of one hundred billion to two hundred billion
dollars ($100,000,000,000 - $200,000,000,000), both in the
initial acquisition and long-term management.

Without the funds from our 1991 partners, we would not be
able to acquire the oil revenue trapped within Iraq.  That
is why my family and our colleagues are urgently seeking
your gracious assistance.  Our distinguished colleagues in
this business transaction include the sitting Vice-President
of the United States of America, Richard Cheney, who is an
original partner in the Iraq venture and former head of the
Halliburton oil company, and Condoleeza Rice, whose
professional dedication to the venture was demonstrated in
the naming of a Chevron oil tanker after her.

I would beseech you to transfer a sum equalling ten to
twenty-five percent (10-25 %) of your yearly income to our
account to aid in this important venture.  The Internal
Revenue Service of the United States of America will
function as our trusted intermediary.  I propose that you
make this transfer before the fifteenth (15th) of the month
of April.

I know that a transaction of this magnitude would make
anyone apprehensive and worried.  But I am assuring you that
all will be well at the end of the day.  A bold step taken
shall not be regretted, I assure you.  Please do be informed
that this business transaction is 100% legal.  If you do not
wish to co-operate n this transaction, please contact our
intermediary representatives to further discuss the matter.

I pray that you understand our plight.  My family and our
colleagues will be forever grateful.  Please reply in strict
confidence to te contact numbers below.

Sincerely with warm regards,

GEORGE WALKER BUSH

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-06 04:55:01 »

Congratulations on your newly found fame. For goodness' sake don't mislay it.

On the Bush scam, I think it is spoiled by the fact that the English is far too good for Our Dear Misleadertm. He is 'kleerly DeesKumBombBoozeLatered*' by words more complex than common or garden monosyllables or grunts**. In any case, this letter is not, in my opinion, particularly funny simply because it comes far too close to the mark. Bush's scam mastery is completely invisible to most Americans, not because it is hidden, it is not, but simply because it takes the ability to count on one's fingers to recognize the far from hidden cost of soaring importation of daily necessities ,with no balancing exports to pay for them; at the same time as Our Dear Misleadertm promises on behalf of our great grandchildren (if any of our descendents survive that long - a probability which his actions seem almost designed to avoid) to make future payments. This has permitted the borrowing and transfer of vast amounts of  money to the Bush Buddies today, effectively repeating the "future theft" of the Republicans in the 1980s (when the same players as are currently at the helm looted Social Security for the first time), ensuring that the current insanely high (real rate of around 9%) and poorly concealed inflation (which is how payments are being extracted) persists even as the likelihood of anything else doing so is minimized. Visualize the impact of simultaneous rampant inflation and a massive recession (stagflation). Or how to make  Zimbabwe look good.

Kind Regards

Hermit

*discombobulated
**In the real world, this is recognized as symptomatic of pathological brain damage often caused by cocaine abuse, refer e.g. http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNVol13N3/Cocaine.html.

Chimpzilla, a Tribute

In the shit spattered oval office of Bush
A monkey sat on his blue-bottomed tush
Clinton just got his dick twirled,
I've fucked the whole world
Whaddya mean that I'm here through a putsch

When putsch comes to shove I'm a brat
I haz always known just where it's at
You may think its peculiar
When I say nuculear
But I are still the Prez and all that

And you can't get me out of this chair
Even if you notice that I'm covered in hair
See my fine cowboy hat
Brokeback Mountain, what's that
There's no monkey business but mine here

Don't think we will ever come clean
I am owned by the party machine
Which is why no-one will see
That like a chimpanzee
I'm not just stoopid, I'm mean

So I'll do what I like when I want
If you try to stop me you can't
Who needs elocution
When the constitution's
No match for jingoist cant

Don't tell me you are still agog
The tail is still wagging the dog
The recipe's easy
Play stupid, act sleazy
and no-one will see through the fog

Copyright Hermit 2006. This work first published on the Church of Virus BBS at http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs. This work may be freely forwarded or reused, in part or in whole, so long as this attribution remains attached.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-06 05:05:44 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-06 14:07:40 »

Blunderov] I wonder if there is a word that means fame that comes to people in a form in which they would rather it didn't? I'm sure that this must happen quite a lot. Misfame perhaps? Something just short of outright embarrassment  would do nicely.

Similarly, the Bush 419 scam pastiche is, I agree, unfunnily close to the bone.  I wonder whether Bush, in order to be consistent, would contemplate legislation
authorizing the pre-emptive obtaining of consent in sexual matters? (Possibly with a little sub lethal duress thrown in.)We all know what the word for that is.

Best regards.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: