logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-04 03:01:36 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

The Real Meaning of Life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Real Meaning of Life  (Read 1547 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
The Real Meaning of Life
« on: 2015-08-13 11:35:37 »

Jerry Coyne, evolutionary biologist and author of Faith vs Fact: Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible:

“The way I find meaning is the way that most people find meaning, even religious ones, which is to get pleasure and significance from your job, from your loved ones, from your avocation, art, literature, music. People like me don’t worry about what it’s all about in a cosmic sense, because we know it isn’t about anything. It’s what we make of this transitory existence that matters.

“If you’re an atheist and an evolutionary biologist, what you think is, I’m lucky to have these 80-odd years: How can I make the most of my existence here? Being an atheist means coming to grips with reality. And the reality is twofold. We’re going to die as individuals, and the whole of humanity, unless we find a way to colonise other planets, is going to go extinct. So there’s lots of things that we have to deal with that we don’t like. We just come to grips with the reality. Life is the result of natural selection, and death is the result of natural selection. We are evolved in such a way that death is almost inevitable. So you just deal with it.

“It says in the Bible that, ‘When I was a child I played with childish things, and when I became a man I put away those childish things.’ And one of those childish things is the superstition that there’s a higher purpose. Christopher Hitchens said it’s time to move beyond the mewling childhood of our species and deal with reality as it is, and that’s what we have to do.”

h/t Hermit
Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
The Real Meaning of Life or What explains the rise of humans?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-17 09:53:40 »

The first part of the talk lays it all out and the kick in the groin is worth the wait.

Cheers

Fritz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj7Wg4DAbs
Yuval Noah Harari: What explains the rise of humans?
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: