logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 21:35:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

A scolding evangelist puts the ‘hate' back in Haiti
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: A scolding evangelist puts the ‘hate' back in Haiti  (Read 923 times)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
A scolding evangelist puts the ‘hate' back in Haiti
« on: 2010-01-17 14:21:19 »

Yet another shining moment for Christendom

Fritz

Source: The Globe & Mail
Author: Tabatha Southey
Date: Jan. 16, 2010 9:16PM EST

Rev. Pat Robertson might want to check his sources on this ‘true story'

‘They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon III and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, ‘We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.' True story. And so the devil said, ‘Okay, it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed …”

That's Rev. Pat Robertson explaining how, he believes, the people of Haiti brought a 7.0-magnitude earthquake – and their poverty – on themselves.

Setting aside all the other issues raised by this, does anyone really believe that's how the devil talks? I know Mr. Robertson says this is a true story, but I don't believe the devil ever said, “Okay, it's a deal.” Isn't the devil traditionally a little more formal than that? That's not the way Mephistopheles talked in Faust . Okay, it's a deal? That's not in there.

In Faust , he's mostly cryptic and scary: The devil says things like, “Dear friend, all theory is grey/ And green, the golden tree of life.” He never says, “Okay, it's a deal,” as if he were out scoring weed at a pool hall.

But then, by Mr. Robertson's logic, it's God who supports slavery, since it was only through a deal with the devil that the Haitian people become free.

God was strictly with management on that one, it seems.

Also by Mr. Robertson's understanding of history, the Haitians were “under the heel of Napoleon III” even though Napoleon III hadn't even been born when the Haitians revolted in 1791. That kind of pre-fetal domination could be humiliating for any people, I imagine.

Perhaps, as the death toll in Haiti mounts, a few more questions about Mr. Robertson's story need to be asked.

First of all, didn't just about everyone kick out the French at one point or another? Didn't we pretty much kick out the French? Aren't the French basically the most kicked-out nation in the world, having been kicked out of nearly every country but France? Did all of those countries deal directly with the devil, and if so why did the devil insist that the Haitians alone pay this ghastly price?

When Hurricane Katrina came along, Mr. Robertson and others on the Christian right speculated that God had sent it to punish New Orleans for decadent ways. But Louisiana also effectively kicked out the French, so why curse them for decadence instead? God's being arbitrary about the French thing.

(Also, I'm hardly a biblical scholar, but I'm pretty sure the devil went down to Georgia, not Louisiana.) When you go to a country and the bread's good, you know the French were there. And yet there are parts of the world that have both great bread and very few French people, but are not cursed for having made the French leave. Again, it seems unlikely to me that the devil would have driven such a hard bargain only with Haiti.

Possibly, the devil, eternal as he is, shuffling through history, brokering all these deals, was just bored at the time. He had no “forbear to trifle longer with thy grief” rhetoric left in him when it came to ridding another country of the French. Hence the “okay, it's a deal” that Mr. Robertson insists is in the historical record.

Maybe in Haiti the devil just shrugged and said, “Oh yeah, right, you want the French gone. Okay, it's a deal. I'll have my people send over the standard contract. Now I gotta fly, kids. I'm wanted in Vietnam.”

In which case, I hardly think the deal would have involved Haitians cursing themselves in the crushing-poverty-major-fault-line way that Mr. Robertson insists they collectively signed off on.

I imagine that where the French were concerned, the devil sighed and said, “Really, are you sure you want them gone? Have you tried the pastries? The pastries are good. The little round cookies with the filling? Really? Not interested? Freedom, right?

“Well, okay, the French will be gone. But you're going to have to rake the leaves for me. That's the deal. And bag them,” he might have added as he was leaving, but only if no one was arguing with him about the raking part.

Mr. Robertson, who also called the Haitian earthquake “a blessing in disguise,” might want to check his sources on this “true story.” That's pretty heavily disguised.

Besides, everyone knows that the devil mostly makes deals over music lessons.

Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:A scolding evangelist puts the ‘hate' back in Haiti
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-19 16:34:28 »

[Blunderov] The man is unspeakable. Not because he is obsessed with sin per se, but because his despicable prejudice is laid bare in his interpretation of events. Let us for the moment entertain his obvious assumption that no disaster occurs without it being a manifestation of Jehova's wrath. What is to prevent him from concluding that the earthquake was sent to chasten mankind in toto for it's globally pervasive sinfulness? Does he imagine that all this suffering is confined to the legally mandated borders of Haiti? Clearly it is beyond his conception that these events might contribute to the sorrow of all mankind. This man is no Christian whatever he may claim. He is a common or garden racist.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:A scolding evangelist puts the ‘hate' back in Haiti
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-19 22:14:08 »

Quote:
[Blunderov]This man is no Christian whatever he may claim. He is a common or garden racist.
AGREED !!! ... unfortunately with lots of money and followers.

Sigh

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: