logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 06:24:42 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Einstein: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Einstein: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people  (Read 1338 times)
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
Einstein: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people
« on: 2008-05-14 09:36:38 »

[iolo] I know Hermit has done a wonderful job of demolishing the theist's insistence that Einstein was a theist. Therefore, this serves to simply add to his work.

Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people: Einstein letter

DATE: May 13, 2008
SOURCE: Physorg

Albert Einstein described belief in God as "childish superstition" and said Jews were not the chosen people, in a letter to be sold in London this week, an auctioneer said Tuesday.

The father of relativity, whose previously known views on religion have been more ambivalent and fuelled much discussion, made the comments in response to a philosopher in 1954.

As a Jew himself, Einstein said he had a great affinity with Jewish people but said they "have no different quality for me than all other people."

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this," he wrote in the letter written on January 3, 1954 to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, cited by The Guardian newspaper.

The German-language letter is being sold Thursday by Bloomsbury Auctions in Mayfair after being in a private collection for more than 50 years, said the auction house's managing director Rupert Powell.

In it the renowned scientist, who declined an invitation to become Israel's second president, rejected the idea that the Jews are God's chosen people.

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions," he said.

"And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people."

And he added: "As far as my experience goes, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

Previously the great scientist's comments on religion -- such as "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -- have been the subject of much debate, used notably to back up arguments in favour of faith.

Powell said the letter being sold this week gave a clear reflection of Einstein's real thoughts on the subject. "He's fairly unequivocal as to what he's saying. There's no beating about the bush," he told AFP.

====

-iolo
Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Einstein: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-14 13:06:43 »

Thanks for the generous words and the article. Both are appreciated.

Kind Regards

Hermit
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: