logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 15:55:03 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: ...  (Read 943 times)
TrickleCloude
Initiate

Rate TrickleCloude

Cheese!

View Profile
« on: 2005-12-27 13:20:22 »

« Last Edit: 2011-05-16 19:47:16 by TrickleCloude » Report to moderator   Logged
BlanketEffect
Neophyte

Fire, walk with me
67140459 67140459    blanketeffect strahd751
View Profile E-Mail
Re:The Supposed Difference Between Relationship and Religion...
« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-01 23:53:46 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

We are all one mind and capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable. We are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-03 13:47:18 »

Quote from: Aurorum on 2006-02-02 09:07:39   

I hope that that is the case. However, it is almost too good to be true; [in my opinion,] humanity is ancient, not young as many presume.

I too would like to think that humanity will outgrow traditional religion some day (and that the CoV is a stepping stone in that direction). But if religion is hardwired we may have to change our genetics first.
Report to moderator   Logged
Gods Imaginary ...
Acolyte

Rate Gods Imaginary ...

Know Thyself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-12 22:02:54 »

I once heard on a TV documentary that if we built conscious machines they too would believe in something like religion. The documentary made the point that humans do not have all of the information needed to make a correct decision, so they operate much like a heuristic. It continues that machines would also operate using this algorithm.

A heuristic is a term from computer science that describes an algorithm that finds an approximation to a problem, which is quite accurate most of the time. Heuristics are used for a class of problems for which an algorithm exists to find the correct answer, however this will require an unobtainable amount of time to solve any reasonable instance of the problem. When the absolute solution has been proven unobtainable, approximations are necessary.

Bringing this back to humans, most do not have enough education to make their decision based on a world without God, too many things don't make sense. So given their limited sense of the world they approximate a solution that requires God. Machines using Artificial Intelligence methods, many of which are heuristics, may operate in the same way. Anyone with a background in computer science will appreciate the statement 'God is a Local Minima', that is, an approximate solution to a problem, but not the best solution.

So until the human race is properly educated, religion will flourish. Education is the antiviral to any religious virus. This again strengthens another argument that the 'Lucifer' references and Church of *Virus* title may not be the best title for this memeplex. This movement is not about creating a virus; it is about building antivirals against the many religions of the world, maybe the Church of Immunity? I guess this memeplex has to act like a virus to spread though, as their aren't enough operatives of this church to immunise everyone. It has to be like the computer viruses that infect a system so that they can patch the hole they used to gain entry, or the gene therapy viruses that infect an organism to modify it's DNA so that it may fight cancer or other viruses. Either way, Church of Immunity sounds less offensive to the masses. Even a virus that 'patches' people mustn't be recognised as a virus, or it will never gain entry in the first place.
« Last Edit: 2006-02-12 22:11:54 by Gods Imaginary Friend » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: