logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 07:51:45 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Is it impossible for some people to free them self’s from mystical beliefs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Is it impossible for some people to free them self’s from mystical beliefs?  (Read 921 times)
uuuuuuu
Neophyte

View Profile E-Mail
Is it impossible for some people to free them self’s from mystical beliefs?
« on: 2004-07-12 14:48:12 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
Re:Is it impossible for some people to free them self’s from mystical beliefs?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-18 11:12:10 »

I personally believe it is not in the genes. In order to better understand the need for spirituality, look at how it started, go back in time, way back in time and take a look at how it started, how christianity came to be.
  Another explanation might come from Nicolas Mackiaveli, who in the Prince (I don't know the exact quote) wrote about how people follow what others do afraid of judging, and when the state controls these trains of thoughts, the state will always uphold power if the idiosyncrasies are to their benefit. That is why "pagan" Rome never accepted christianity. The need for spirituality lies in the birth of that religion. To me people at first could not explain the wonders that seemed to surround them, but it took another meaning for them. In a world full of vice, "it's crazy not to think that there is another better life waiting for us in heaven, Mars, outer space, or wherever".

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
Rhysenn
Initiate

Rate Rhysenn

Empress544
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-21 09:51:20 »

I think some people are probably predisposed to religious inclination but i dont think it would impossible to free oneself of it. But i read about a study at some point in which they found that applying stimuli to a certain region of the brain can induce the feeling of some kind of mystical presence. Perhaps i could locate it.
knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-22 01:34:04 »

Quote:
But i read about a study at some point in which they found that applying stimuli to a certain region of the brain can induce the feeling of some kind of mystical presence
  By this, do you mean that mystical believes could be genetically related. That something socially or by other means activates this genes.
  Or that the mystical believes of a person in the brain are related to a part of the brain that mainly works for another purpose.
  When the person depends on it, it's very hard to uncover their eyes, they rather keep a lid on reality instead of seeing it for what it is. Of course I don't want to argue against the posibility of finding a solution, but psicologically speaking, I think it has to be a very well thought method consisting on the impact method. The meaning of this refering to the fact that when in a certain age, it's rather late to reason with the person. Drift also discussed this on another topic.
  But your solution is more techonogically related and scientific. In order to practice it you have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that mystical believes are malign and problematic you could say to humanity. I think this can be harder than finding that place in the brain you mentioned. But don't get me wrong, my purpose here is to somewhat find the answer without a shadow of a doubt to that very question. An answer unquestionable by everyone, but I can't get my hopes up, I think I can prove it to myself and others like me, but an unquestionable answer that would justify yours or any other practice requires more training an education than the one I currently have.

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
of people's misery.
Pabreetzio
Adept

Rate Pabreetzio

I'm Patrick
   Pabreetzio Pabreetzio
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-22 22:11:09 »

I dont think that there is any impossibility for people to free them selves from the 'mystical.' I think that people just understand things in a way that makes them believe it it, just as you would believe in anything else. I would say though that most people are very stuborn in their beliefs, and its not easy to just argue someone into believing something else as you might think it is. I dont think I could argue you into anything, just as you couldnt argue some christian into giving up their beliefs. I think that I could explain why either of you have the beliefs that you have but as for changing them, its not your place, but its not impossible. Sometimes things just need time to change. Theyre learned from other things rather than people aruging with them once, or repeatedly even. Theyre learned from the little everyday things we can attach to messages we hear or think of for ouselves.

Why would one want to live a life without the belief in the supernatural though? You seem to think that there are reasons for not believing in the supernatural, and we seem to agree on that, but explain anyway.
knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-28 22:55:35 »

Well, simply, it is not that there are reasons not to be believe in the supernatural, is that believing in the things some religions believe in corrupts the way of life we could enjoy, but we don't. This is better explained in another topic called "Dawkins in Salon" where he mentions the dependence on the other life neglecting the good things about this one. Science hasn't completely given full reasons to undo the belief in the supernatural but it is not like they will never have them, but in other terms, logically, reasonably, reasons can be philosophized about whether or not there is some use in the belief of the supernatural.
  I personally believe it's stupid and useless, but that is only my way of thinking.

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
of people's misery.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-03 11:56:37 »

Quote from: Pabreetzio on 2005-05-22 22:11:09   

Why would one want to live a life without the belief in the supernatural though? You seem to think that there are reasons for not believing in the supernatural, and we seem to agree on that, but explain anyway.

How about this? It is stupid (not smart, not intelligent, not wise, not rational, not good) to believe something that is false.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: