logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 22:52:12 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Should Atheism replace Religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Should Atheism replace Religion?  (Read 1209 times)
Gunit
Initiate

Rate Gunit

Heeeer's Gunit!

View Profile
Should Atheism replace Religion?
« on: 2004-03-29 23:53:30 »

From "losing his religion"
- the discussion had changed topic and I thought warranted its own thread

Quote from: Stev on 2004-03-28 17:59:08   

as to your question of whether we should try to disprove religions, i say: if reason or scientifc evidence is contradictory to a religious text such as the Qur'an, would it not be benificial to remedy or make clear the false or contradictory passages which are questioned?

Who would it benefit? It seems to me that it would only benefit atheists by giving them another avenue to express how much more 'right' they are. Logically disproving religious texts has not been effective in reducing the faith in a certain religion in the past. The problem is that due to the nature of belief it does not weaken their faith, but serves the opposite purpose. It puts religion on the defensive and breeds further distrust of rationallity.  If it is the minds of the people you want to win I think a much more successful direction to take would be to strip religion of its power, as we have done in the secular west. If religion no longer has a say in our lawmaking or schooling, what is the harm in it?

Actually I'm not entirely convinced that a complete absense of religion is a good thing for society.  Atheism does not provide absolute moral guidelines for the average person. I know most atheists on this board would tell me that atheists are some of the most moral people, and I would agree, but hear me out.

In every religion there are a small minority of firm believers and a vast majority of casual believers. These casual believers sin even though their morals are handed to them. What if atheism replaced religionIf casual christians sin then what does that mean for the casual atheists? Would they become completely void of morals because they aren't told what to think? Would crime increase and adultery become more prevalent; would society loose its goodwill? Is this already happening?

Gunit
Report to moderator   Logged
Stev
Acolyte

Rate Stev

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Should Atheism replace Religion?
« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-07 21:09:22 »

I think that the 'casual religious followers' which accurately depict the usual church-goers you describe, are usually basing their morals on the laws of their society, rather than their religion. Ask one of them what their biggest fear in commiting a crime is and they will most likely say 'being arrested' rather than 'going to hell'. One reason for this is usually that the majority of their day to day activities no doubt defy their religious teachings, as in the case of christianity, anyone who has partaken in 'premarital sex'.

due to this i would quite agree that the lack of religion would show less of an affect on peoples morals that one might think, despite the basis of western societies laws being based on seemingly christian values. It would no doubt stop the slowdown of modern technolgical progress that religion is imposing on our society today, in the form of stem cell research, nanotechnology, etc.

The problem to governments is that with a lack of religion the people would become more aware of the politics affecting them. Picture, for instance, the 'next life is better' factor, where people ignore current events, content that their current situation doesnt matter so long as eternal bliss awaits them in the next life. The lack of religion will make it far more difficult to govern the people, where people will demand more socially beneficial laws to empower them in what little existance they have. After all, religion has put corrupt rulers in unchecked power throughout history under the guise of holiness. Picture mideval europe, picture the middle east. These people have been dominated not only through their drive for divinity on a road paved by their rulers, but whose meager conservative crimes have been met with harsh punishment in the name of god, instead of simply being a form of eraticating dissent.

Casual atheists can no doubt be subjected to new memes of state control 'war on terror...', which enevitably take their place, for casual atheists are not questioning like those who are stong supporters, they are nonetheless following the pack. The question is, will atheism be enough the stop mass ignorance, or will it open new floodgates of memes to be swallowed by the people?
« Last Edit: 2004-04-07 21:12:04 by Stev » Report to moderator   Logged

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies. - Friedrich W. Nietzsche
Adraeus
Neophyte

I am.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-08 19:01:19 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

JeffCreel
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-15 20:10:59 »

Durazac15
Initiate

Rate Durazac15

Take me with water and a grain of salt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-15 20:44:00 »

Quote:
there is no god, there is only observable reality

The belief that there is no god is not atheism in and of itself. Most would call that "Strong atheism". The lack of belief in a god of gods is a more proper definition IMO. These are very different things. So it's not accurate to suggest that atheism rests on the same unstable ground as religion, this is not to say that there are not irrational and dogmatic atheists. 

I was checking out the following link, I think many here may appereciate the objectivity and fair shake that the author gives atheism and freethought. That and he is a fairly personable fellow.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/ath/blath_index.htm?terms=atheism

Smiling through it all

Durazac 15
JeffCreel
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-15 20:50:40 »