logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 04:11:06 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

It's the Fundamentalism, Stupid!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: It's the Fundamentalism, Stupid!  (Read 588 times)
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
It's the Fundamentalism, Stupid!
« on: 2003-06-11 14:18:52 »

[[ author reputation (1.92) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
Re:It's the Fundamentalism, Stupid!
« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-13 04:35:56 »

OK, I’ll be the first to admit that my knowledge of politics in the Middle East is almost completely absent, not that it does not interest me however, only that I have had other subjects on my plate that have required digesting before moving onto my next course.

It is no secret that there are more than a few Virians that appear well versed and competent in this subject – so it is for this reason that I am posting the following here.

NOTE – while my following comments will appear naïve, remember that it is because they more than likely are – so if anyone responds to my post please do so in a manner that is not condescending, I post to learn. It would be most beneficial to me if the response contains references to web sites that I can peruse and also use as a starting point for furthering my knowledge of said subject. After all I do not want to rely on fellow Virians to do my thinking, but I am in a position where I am not even sure which websites I should be researching. So suggestions would be great, and then I can build up my data set and decide whether the suggestions are agreeable or not.

----------

Quote:
and that therefore the problem is with the greed for power and with people like Saddam Hussein (or George Bush) who want power and find it easy to manipulate the masses using religious appeals. There surely is part of that going on too, but George W. Bush, I think, really believes that God is on his side, and so do Tony Blair, Hussein, Bin Laden, and a host of other characters that are concurring in making a mess of the just-born 21st century.

My initial concern is that the author has simplified what I would have thought was a far more complex socio-politico-economical issue. And was Saddam not a secular / anti-religious dictator??

Quote:
The extremes to which Islamic fundamentalists (including Palestinians and their leader Arafat, currently as pathetic as, but much more dangerous than, Castro) can go in the name of their version of the universal truth are well known and need not be belabored here.

Am I correct in stating that not all Palestinians are Muslims? Also isn’t Arafat a secular leader and that from the Palestinian perspective the conflict is not a religious one, but one of a struggle against people colonising their land??   

Quote:
But let’s keep the alarm clock ringing loud, or Bush, Bin Laden & co. will plunge us all back into the Dark Ages, real soon. And we call them “dark” for reasons other than the fact that electricity hadn’t been invented yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with the author about the dangers of fundamentalism, and I too agree with the idea that ‘belief’ and ‘faith’ are diseases of the mind that halt all thinking.

However, is it unfair for me to consider the authors’ view that it all stems from ‘fundamentalism’ as naïve? As I suggested above, are there not more complex processes running behind the scenes (economic and political), and that these religious positions are merely an excuse?

Hmm fire away!!!

the bricoleur   
Gods Apprentice
Neophyte

To live is to change, to die is stay the same

View Profile E-Mail
Re:It's the Fundamentalism, Stupid!
« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-12 03:41:00 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

To live is to change, to die is stay the same