logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 11:29:09 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

Mo Enzyme's log
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Mo Enzyme's log  (Read 7786 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Mo Enzyme's log
« Reply #15 on: 2010-12-01 13:39:49 »

Okay, well I got out a bit on Monday but didn't walk too far or too fast. Maybe just a couple of miles at my usual 3.7mph-ish. Didn't do any yesterday, but today I got out and went for a really fast walk. I only went about a mile and a half (one big circuit plus one small circuit), but I definitely broke 4 mph, making it in 21 minutes. As short as that was, I really could feel a whole higher level of activity. It felt like about as fast as I could possibly walk without actually running. In fact I can still feel my legs pumping as I'm sitting here typing. I'm definitely going to try that at least one more time before the day is finished. I'm not really going to count this as making my 4mph goal yet. I want to sustain that for an hour first - that only makes sense since I didn't say 1m/15min.
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010-12-01 15:27:57 »

Okay, I just rested about an hour and went out to do it again. A mile and a quarter in about 17 minutes. I actually started slower but maintained a more steady pace. Last time I sort of rushed myself up front and slowed down towards the later part. Last time I felt like I started out just as fast as I could possibly walk without running, and this time I started out ALMOST as fast as I could and actually averaged a better speed over the distance. I think if I can get my pace down comfortably I can probably maintain it for an hour. This seems like it might actually be a bit more challenging than the 30 mile goal.

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2010-12-03 16:46:13 »

Well, without going into great personal detail - I've had a number of personal opportunities combined with several interpersonal conflicts arising in the last few days which have put me off my plan for a regular routine. I'm still planning on walking a bit however it works out, whether for my health or to blow off steam, in any case it will be difficult to plan. I'm wanting to work a little more on my speed rather than my distance, however I'm thinking about putting a minimum on my distance in any case. If I'm going to bust out and walk I think it should be worth two big circuits in any case (2 1/2 miles). If I don't walk at least that far, I may not log about it right away unless I'm just unusually pissed off about something. Speed would be nice, I'm always looking to meet/exceed my 4 mph goal, but I'm not going to let that stop me from walking however far I think I need to.

Mo Enzyme

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #18 on: 2011-01-04 13:13:18 »

I'm schlepping boxes yet again, in and out of pickup trucks moving ... I trust you are silently walking ?

Misery loves company

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Kill all the Stupid people?
« Reply #19 on: 2011-02-02 22:09:43 »

(this is a better edited version of my previous post by the same title which I'm deleting after this posting.)

Kill all the stupid people?

Jan. 5
I've had an account on this dating site, OKCupid, and a big part of their matching system are some thousands of Matching questions largely generated by the users. Some of them get fairly philosophical, much more than just dating habits and behaviors, and a few are even worthy of the Church of the Virus level discussions. Here is one match question I've sometimes used as a decision point in dealing with online dating, and I haven't regretted it yet. I'm always surprised at the number of people who want to kill all the stupid people.

This is what I lovingly call the "Kill all the Stupid People" question. Yes, I know it's a bit unfair of me since the question only mentions sterilization and not death, but the underlying logic of it is dumb enough that I have to make the point. Isn't it really just more efficient than sterilizing them? So if you've ever imagined that killing all the stupid people would make the world a better place, and you've ever found yourself left on the side of the road with no one who will take your call for help, perhaps this message may be especially for you. Because killing all the stupid people really isn't an answer to anything and if you ever imagined it was and communicated that to many other people, it could possibly explain some curb-kickings you've received in life.

So here is the question:

Yes or No.

Would the world be a better place if people with low IQs were not allowed to reproduce?

First of all, this makes for an oddly self-referencing question for anyone who answered "yes" to this, so if you answered "yes", thank you for sharing. I'm certainly not a genius nor even a member of MENSA, but I do have three digits in my IQ score, and I've found that people much more intelligent than me generally don't think this way. They either understand intuitively or they actually know that this old hackneyed piece of eugenics propaganda has been thoroughly refuted on scientific grounds. This is not how the intellectual gifts work, and if you had any you would probably already know that for yourself. So when we begin sterilizing the weak of mind, perhaps you may find yourself losing your reproductive rights.

Secondly, while genes may have some role in explaining differences in IQ, these differences aren't as genetically determined as many people imagine. For example The Flynn Effect is a very well-documented and scientifically studied phenomenon that clearly demonstrates how IQ is not so genetically determined ESPECIALLY in the lower half of the  IQ range. If you really think sterilizing stupid people will make the world a better place, then please research this before we get to our first date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_Effect

Even people with lower IQs can learn to make their own decisions about birth control if someone without irrational beliefs is willing to help educate them properly. People with low IQ's can still responsibly care about their fellow humans, so I have no problem reciprocating as helpfully as I possibly can.

And finally,

"My mother used to say to me, 'Elwood' -- she always called me Elwood -- 'Elwood, in this world you must be oh-so clever, or oh-so pleasant.' For years I was clever. I'd recommend pleasant -- and you may quote me." --Elwood P. Dowd in the play/movie, HARVEY.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
thoughts and actions
« Reply #20 on: 2011-02-02 22:22:06 »

I'm going to indulge myself for the next few posts on this thread in pasting over some material from my OKCupid account. The reason is that I'm actually now seriously dating someone I've met on there, so I'm probably going to be disabling my account there within the next week. I still feel somewhat invested in my various rantings I composed over there and don't want to actually lose them. So I'm going to post them in here on my BBS log. If anyone is actually reading this and has any comments, I also welcome those here as well. I simply love writing and conversing about these topics, which is why I'm saving these gems for the CoV BBS. Here is another match question. I suppose it helps to know that my potential matches on the dating site are women, to explain my pronoun usage.

Ethical issues - thoughts and actions

Dec. 14, 2010
Match Question: Is it possible for something to hurt no one-- physically, mentally, or in any other way-- and for it still to be morally wrong?

A. Yes

B. No

C. I'm Not Sure

My answer: Yes
Explanation: Some kinds of things can be hurtful, and yet in a particular instance it may not actually result in harm. Yet that's only a retrospective view while we can only live life forward. For example, you may cheat on your spouse and he never finds out, but there is really no way to know that ahead of time. So yes, cheating on your spouse is always wrong whether or not he ultimately finds out.

for contrast . . .

Match Question: Is a sinful or immoral thought just as bad as acting on that thought?

A. Yes, it's just as bad.

B. No, it's not as bad.

C. A thought can't be sinful or immoral

D. I'm not sure

My answer: A thought can't be sinful or immoral

Explanation: There is no equivalency.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Baby steps now. :)
« Reply #21 on: 2011-02-02 22:33:52 »

This one is a journal post. The journal on OKCupid is for general sharing for those who like to write and discuss things, not just for people I may potentially want to date. This is a journal entry I wrote for other males in the audience, although someone dropped a link pointing out how this issue is relevant for females as well. I'll include that after my piece.

Baby steps now.

Dec. 28, 2010
seriously dudes, you need to be checking out your condoms under the faucet after sex because its important. Not only to catch breaks and issues early - is that a pin hole I see before me? etc. but to also prevent future problems. False claims of fatherhood, fraudulently attempted rape allegations etc. You know stranger things have happened with DNA, just ask Dexter Morgan. Its like washing your hands and brushing your teeth. Don't even give women a chance to yank your chain. If that disaster never happens, you may at least know an important piece of information about her and act accordingly. Keep your condoms, clean them out, check them for leaks under significant water pressure. Preferably bring your own, or at least inspect them if they aren't ones you purchased yourself. Perform the autopsy on the dead soldier, and then destroy and/or dispose of him quickly and appropriately. Ceremonial Burning is discouraged, though permissible if is actually faster and otherwise complying with local environmental standards. Never reuse a condom. They are already legally toxic biowaste no matter how much you clean them and there are good reasons for that so you may as well do yourself and everyone around you some good - take responsibility for your condoms and you take responsibility for yourself. Baby steps now.

witchzenka drops this link with a similarly valid point for women http://5secondfilms.com/watch/the_one/

Mo Enzyme

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Kill all the Stupid people?
« Reply #22 on: 2011-02-02 22:54:46 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2011-02-02 22:09:43   

(this is a better edited version of my previous post by the same title which I'm deleting after this posting.)

Kill all the stupid people?

Jan. 5

So here is the question:

Yes or No.

Would the world be a better place if people with low IQs were not allowed to reproduce?

<snip>

And finally,

"My mother used to say to me, 'Elwood' -- she always called me Elwood -- 'Elwood, in this world you must be oh-so clever, or oh-so pleasant.' For years I was clever. I'd recommend pleasant -- and you may quote me." --Elwood P. Dowd in the play/movie, HARVEY.

Pleasant keeps'em guessing 

This young lady seems to be on a similiar track to your question 

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2011-02-04 13:30:16 »

funny Fritz. Personally I'd not be sending the womenfolk to another planet of course.

Here are some more of my journal entries on OKCupid.

Jan. 4
Re: religion and proselytizing

Match Question: Do you believe that it is your duty to educate people who don't share your religious beliefs?

No. I also made "No" the mandatory answer for potential partners. I can tolerate people sharing, but not duties to educate. In religious matters, that's an inappropriate and unwelcome intrusion, always. Personally I take a "feed only the hungry" approach when deciding whether or not to share my own spiritual thoughts. Most people most of the time are simply not yet hungry enough for what I have to say, so usually I say nothing. My ethics: feed only the hungry; let sleeping dogs lie; do no harm.

The Church of OMG!

Dec. 28, 2010

Match Question: How important is religion/God in your life?

A) Extremely Important

B) Somewhat Important

C) Not Very Important

D) Not at all important.

I chose C. Not Very Important: I'm an infidel and I felt tempted to answer D), but I live in an extremely religious society so I can't really ignore god words, so I'm sticking with C) on this one. Some days I'm a gnostic, others agnostic, and more or less always a masonic-infidel-sometimes-atheist. I was raised Unitarian Universalist, one of the more disorganized western liberal Christian traditions, and I suppose I remain nominally so even though I haven't participated in the community lately. They still seem like a tolerable group the few times I've returned visiting my parents, and I maintain quite a few political friendships I first formed in some UU church or another as a child/teenager.

Mo Enzyme

Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: