logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-27 15:07:43 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Arts & Entertainment

District 9
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: District 9  (Read 1309 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
District 9
« on: 2010-08-15 15:02:22 »

Excellent movie. I'm sure many have already seen it, but in case you haven't I give it a strong recommendation. Peter Jackson directed a team of South African actors in a science fiction movie set in Johannesburg. Lots of excellent acting talents who were new or less familiar to me.
http://www.d-9.com/
Its a close encounters type of movie, a spaceship carrying millions of alien prawn accidentally crashes to earth. But the story of how things progress from there is truly interesting and a bit novel to me. There was a biological warfare element to it, a decent amount of violence, interesting parodies of human social behaviors, even a love element as the main character struggles to maintain contact with his wife.

I had already watched a bunch of times before and finally decided to buy it last week. Just got done watching it again this morning.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-15 20:57:53 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:District 9
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-15 21:05:57 »

I suppose its a bit like Alienation, where the aliens live among us, but we dominate and generally find them a nuisance and really treat them like crap, plus it seems to be a population already under some considerable stress due to the disaster they've undergone and the loss of considerable brain trust in their community, so we mostly have them under our heel.

Some people have told me they thought it was a funny movie. I did find some situations very humorous as a parodies of human behavior, racism, and other Us/Them-isms. The movie as a whole was even a bit romantic with a struggle for the faith of our love/marriage story line almost every woman can love. That usually puts me to sleep, but with healthy doses of violence, I could follow it.

Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-16 13:10:46 »

Quote:
Peter Jackson directed a team of South African actors in a science fiction movie set in Johannesburg.
[letheomaniac] It was actually directed by South African Neill Blomkamp - Peter Jackson was the producer. I know that's a little nit-picky, but we don't make many kick-ass movies here so I feel we should give our local talent all the credit and exposure we can Incidentally I saw Sharlto Copely (Wikus) in the A-team movie the other day, so District 9 has definitely launched at least one career so far.

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-16 15:02:33 »

Quote from: letheomaniac on 2010-08-16 13:10:46   

Quote:
Peter Jackson directed a team of South African actors in a science fiction movie set in Johannesburg.
[letheomaniac] It was actually directed by South African Neill Blomkamp - Peter Jackson was the producer. I know that's a little nit-picky, but we don't make many kick-ass movies here so I feel we should give our local talent all the credit and exposure we can Incidentally I saw Sharlto Copely (Wikus) in the A-team movie the other day, so District 9 has definitely launched at least one career so far.

Ah, yeah . . . I'm not a real movie guy that way. I mostly just watch the final product. Peter Jackson is more like a brand to me. I suppose I could look at that special features making of, etc. Thanks for the clarification! Yeah Copely was great. I actually like this movie more than Avatar, and that's saying a lot. Especially with its 3D breakthrough Avatar is a must see movie that didn't disappoint in the intellectual and story departments. I saw Avatar first. But District 9 really stayed with me more. After renting it I purchased a copy and I only rented Avatar.

Mo Enzyme

letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-17 12:40:25 »

[letheomaniac] Something that you may not know about the prawns from District 9 is that they are actually something of a South African in-joke. They are based on an equally horrifying although considerably smaller insect native to Southern Africa and particularly common in Johannnesburg that are known as Parktown Prawns. It is frequently noted that they look like some kind of horrible alien. Add to this the fact that they will squirt a stream of revolting fecal liquid at you when startled (such as when you are attempting to catch one and remove it from your house) and you have one of the nastiest insects ever to evolve. Behold the horror!

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: