logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-29 21:27:17 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Belief in superiority may impair objectives of CoV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Belief in superiority may impair objectives of CoV  (Read 1742 times)
Nick
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Belief in superiority may impair objectives of CoV
« on: 2004-11-07 20:14:15 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
LenKen
Adept

Rate LenKen

Mi caca es su caca.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Belief in superiority may impair objectives of CoV
« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-08 20:57:40 »

Quote:
Reason
No other system of thought in history has proven more effective.  If truth is the goal, rationality is the way.  A good Virion will endeavor to hold a consistent set of beliefs and act in accordance with those beliefs.  Think critically, act rationally.

How is that in any way a controversial statement?  It isn’t arrogant—it’s merely honest—to assert that reason is a more effective means of acquiring truth than is, e.g., intuition.  Contrary to what some Easterners (and trendy Westerners) may believe, we humans cannot build some sort of direct pipeline to the truth through meditation and whatnot, so we need to rely on science and reason to find pragmatic truth.

One man’s frozen sperm is another man’s low-carb ice cream.  
Nick
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Oooops! And 'reason' vs 'empiricism'
« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-08 21:42:56 »

LenKen
Adept

Rate LenKen

Mi caca es su caca.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-08 22:07:24 »

Don’t worry—all is forgiven.  And I agree with pretty much everything you said in your last post.  I think controlled emotions are an essential part of reasoning—because, for one thing, we’re never really motivated to think about something unless we have some sort of feeling about it.
     And, although I have certain problems with Eastern religions and philosophies like Buddhism, I think there’s a lot of wisdom that can be gleaned from them.
     And I tend to define reason rather broadly, so that—in my mind—empiricism is far more reasonable than so-called rationalism.  Armchair philosophy rarely resolves any real issues, but science, epiricism, and pragmatism have helped our culture to evolve exponentially.
« Last Edit: 2004-11-08 22:08:11 by LenKen » Report to moderator   Logged

Nick
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2004-11-08 22:17:11 »

LenKen
Adept

Rate LenKen

Mi caca es su caca.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2004-11-08 22:38:53 »

While I agree that religion without science is sterile, science without religion need not be blind.  I’m more in agreement with the following Einstein quote: “A man’s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.  Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.”
« Last Edit: 2004-11-08 22:39:43 by LenKen » Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2004-11-15 23:08:56 »

Here is the full quote:

Reason
No other system of thought in history has proven more effective. If truth is the goal, rationality is the way. A good Virion will endeavor to hold a consistent set of beliefs and act in accordance with those beliefs. Think critically, act rationally.

I'm not sure how to clarify... any suggestions?
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2004-11-15 23:12:05 »

Quote from: Nick on 2004-11-08 22:17:11   

We do seem to be in broad agreement.

What make you of Einstein's "Science without religion is blind, religion without science is sterile"?  (Cos I agree)

What kind of religion do you think Einstein had in mind? Perhaps he was using the word to encompass a kind of morality?
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-26 22:09:06 »

Here's one thing that I have noticed... if you read my other post in 'purpose of CoV', you may note that I am hacked right down into the specifics of language.

I would hypothesize that the reason this sentence causes one (and probably others, no?) person to misread it is because it is framed in the negative.

It says, "no other"

The articulation of things in the negative produces a conflict-styel response in the reader.

So how to reframe?

"Reason is the most effective system of thought in history."

I'm thinking that this framework encourages agreement.

just a root hack in the language.

Regarding Einstein's statement. What I think he is referring to is a vision of a harmonic universe. Without this, science is lacking in an ultimate goal. 'The betterment of mankind' is fundamentally self-serving, because any profitable work is therefore ethical science.

He's looking for scientists to be guided, in their minds, by a meme which calls for something greater than the sum of its parts.

Synthesis.

If we can come up with some really good examples and metaphors of synthesis, we will be able to call people's attention to the places where things begin to flow better, when systems begin to run, when lives become easier. Dischord is a form of morphogenesis - calling for the system to begin flowing. On the other hand, homeostasis is also calling for the system to begin flowing. Both are calling for synthesis.

Got any good words for this idea?

btw, nice phrase "frame of reference error". This is an important part of the new metacog language. if we put the entire language together, to describe nonjudgemental listening and error-correction (the language of systems management does not yet speak to the entire populace) we'll be able to push the idea of conversation as a systems model.

-b

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
Nick
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-27 06:56:37 »

knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-30 19:50:59 »

How do we here pretend to define religion?, and also!, how do you think everybody defines religion? As far as I understand, the CoV here pretends through the advancements in technology, to leave their grain of sand to a better tomorrow. Most believes acquired through time by Western civilization pretend us to accept by faith and expect suffering for divine redemption. To fully allow science to beneficiate us, for empiricism to even be practiced, you need to deprive yourself of anything that might drive you to desire a certain conclusion, for example, both sides I believe are slightly unqualified to uphold a good research, a theologist or an unrestrained atheist. But it can always depend on how you handle your emotions and keep an open mind to a situation(Much like greeks desired from their warriors in combat, "sophrosyne") and that is when my inital questions come to the point. How important it is to you to believe can determine whether you are willing to find something to refute your current ideal, so religion doesn't inhibit science, people do.

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: