logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-27 18:21:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Unreason: a meme you need
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Unreason: a meme you need  (Read 9641 times)
Walpurgis
Magister

Rate Walpurgis

View Profile
Re:Unreason: a meme you need
« Reply #45 on: 2003-01-06 07:34:42 »

From CryoNet #20787 - #20793

> Nevertheless, this organisation (the Raelians) exists, and in financial terms > it appears to be far greater than all the cryonics service providers put        > together.

Don't that beat all though? Why is it things totally irrational and based upon
pure conjecture and hearsay are believed enthusiastically over our fact based and reasonable expectations founded upon good science!? Totally incredible!

Report to moderator   Logged
Kharin
Archon

Rate Kharin

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #46 on: 2003-01-06 08:26:08 »

Nice to see you still here Walpurgis. Your point is well enough made, but I am not exactly persuaded that cryonics really belongs in the realm of the rational either.
« Last Edit: 2003-01-06 08:28:14 by kharin » Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #47 on: 2003-01-06 15:29:32 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-05 14:33:55   

You seem to have a position that is not far removed from saying that Reason, in itself, is a moral good. I am not sure whether that is true or not. I think whether a given individual holds to that belief is purely a matter taste.

I don't think I would phrase it that way. I would say that any act or activity that cannot be reasonably justified cannot be reasonably condoned.

Quote:

Unless the the vast majority of) intelligent, sane, reasonable, and reasoning people agree that it can be demonstrated logically that Reason is, in itself, a virtue, it is unreason to say it is one.

I think the vast majority of intelligent, sane, reasonable, and reasoning people would agree to what I said above.

Quote:

In contrast, I think we can pretty much all agree that happiness is a virtue (even Plato was confident about that, as a first principle, without feeling a need to support it by means of reason). And I think we can all agree that the Golden rule is about as good a way as the human race has found of promoting happiness for all.

A lobotomy would probably make someone happier. I'm not sure that is obviously a good idea though.

The GoldenRule is only a fair approximation of how to treat people. Wouldn't it be even better to treat people how they would like to be treated, rather than how you would like to be treated?

Quote:

But that approach does not necessarily exclude concepts that are orthoganal to reason. For instance, should practices akin to Zen meditiation be denigrated because the mind states it promotes aren't based on reason (and indeed Zen meditation of the Rinzai sect is based on such questions as "what is the sound of one hand clapping?") Is there really a need to exclude such things?

Such things would not necessarily be excluded. Does Zen meditation help the individual (or others) without harming the individual (or others)? If so, then it can be reasonably justified. If not, it cannot be condoned.

Quote:

In other words, is EVERYTHING of value based on reason?

I don't recall any suggesting that.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #48 on: 2003-01-06 15:39:07 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-05 14:51:10   

But many of us are struck by the fact that there is NO awareess in a Dell PC; it isn't happy, it isn't sad, etc., it gets no pleasure out of watching a fireplace, etc. Now if you have a computer 10 times as complicated, there doesn't seem to be anything that will bridge the gap between zero consciousness and SOME consciousness. So many of us assume a computer 10 times as complex won't be conscious. By that reasoning, a computer with 10 times further complexity still won't be conscious... and by induction, a computer of no complexity will ever be conscious.

You could use the same slippery slope reasoning to prove that humans are not concious by looking at animals of increasing complexity. Obviously (I hope) it is a fallacious argument.

Quote:

Personally, I think that something that we could term a machine will probably one day be conscious. But I think it will be due to us understanding something we have NO CLUE AT ALL ABOUT now.

Possibly. Or maybe we will understand it terms of emergent phenomena generated by complex adaptive systems. Maybe consciousness is similar to life, arising from complex interactions in systems composed of parts that don't themselves exhibit the property.

Quote:

I do believe that a computer could pass the Turing test. That can be done by very sophisticated mimicry. But that is totally orthoganal to the question of whether a computer could EXPERIENCE the visual phenomenon of a fireplace. Not just DO things based on the input, but EXPERIENCE it, as we do in a quiet moment,  when we are doing nothing about it but watching. To me, that is a way of representing the difference between a thing and a person.

I agree a computer could pass the TuringTest but I don't think it could without being conscious.

Quote:

Ultimately, my view is  that the fact that we have no clue what consciousness is is why philosophers can't agree on anything important. There is simply no foundation for reasoning about the key questions. Ultimately, until we understand consciousness, everything must start with one irrational assumption or another, and reason will follow from there... leading to contradictory (if perfectly-reasoned) conclusions.

Why do you think an understanding of consciousness is necessary for reasoning about all important questions? Is it because you think all important questions are about human happiness?

Quote:

Until then, the Golden Rule will do pretty well. And it is very, very possible that such things as Zen meditiation, and the Christian theologian Paul Tillich's "ultimate ground of being" will get us closer to understanding the basis for our lives than reason alone ever could. And to deny that based on a prejudice against anything other than pure reason will not only cripple the new religion, but actually make it less valuable and very possibly less truthful. Reason alone can not tell us which is true; only human experience can.

I don't think anyone is suggesting "reason alone" whatever that means. (Another strawman argument.)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #49 on: 2003-01-06 15:45:37 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-05 15:25:09   

But in matters of morality, the scientific evidence will not allow us to come to meaningful conclusions. So, there, we need to be guided by something like the Golden Rule. IOW, the Golden Rule must trump reason, because of reason leads to anything inconsistent from the Golden Rule, I think most reasonable people would think it likely that the initial assumptions the reasoning process began from were probably incorrect.

Here is a simple counter-argument.

1. The Golden Rules states that you should treat others how you wish to be treated yourself.
2. I wish to be treated like a responsible adult.
3. Therefore, (from 1 and 2) I should treat others as responsible adults.

However, not everyone else is responsible and not everyone else is an adult. Something is clearly wrong with the argument. Could it be the first premise?
garyrob
Neophyte

My company has built a system for evolving text...
garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #50 on: 2003-01-06 16:00:42 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

--
Help your email get through while making life harder for spammers: use http://wecanstopspam.org in your sig.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
http://www.transpose.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0101454
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #51 on: 2003-01-06 16:14:59 »

--
Help your email get through while making life harder for spammers: use http://wecanstopspam.org in your sig.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #52 on: 2003-01-06 16:29:36 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #53 on: 2003-01-06 16:36:41 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #54 on: 2003-01-06 16:44:25 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2003-01-06 15:39:07   

I agree a computer could pass the TuringTest but I don't think it could without being conscious.

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-06 16:29:36   

Here's where I think we can avoid a slippery slope by being clear on our objectives. With regard to the above, some would agree with you and some would agree with me.

We don't know what the answer is.

But we do know this much, in order to for it pass the TuringTest the AI will have to behave as if it is conscious. An observer will have no way to distinguish between an AI that passes that test that is really conscious and one that only appears to be conscious.

I agree that we can never know with certainty that it is really conscious, but then again you can never know with certainty that anyone else is conscious. You have only the empirical evidence and Bayes Theorem, which can give you a probability that your assessment is correct.

OTOH if the probability is greater than 0.999, you can be pretty darn certain.
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #55 on: 2003-01-06 16:58:38 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #56 on: 2003-01-06 17:08:07 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-06 16:00:42   

So I assert that the GRE (Golden Rule or Equivalent) must trump reason, although reason would still be a virtue.

Do you agree or disagree?

I agree that we need something in addition to reason to avoid the Holocaust scenario, but the GRE isn't going to do it. What if one side wants to be treated like warriors and may the best man win? Using the GRE they will still kill the other guys.

What if we added Empathy to the virtues?

Quote:

I think the Golden Rule has appeared in so many different religions and philosophies because it is the best the human race has been able to come up with. We could try to do better, but I suspect that would be mere hubris. I strongly suspect we should just be guided by the fact that the Golden Rule has been converged on so many times, and take that as the first virtue. If we can agree on (1), it seems VERY reasonable to me that the GR should be the GRE based on precedent; I certainly have no moral wisdom beyond that of the sages of the past who have proposed it, and I don't think any of us do. I see no reason to recreate the wheel in this area.

Well I've pointed out some obvious problems with the GRE, and your argument seems to be "it is an old tradition so it must be optimal". I am not convinced.

Quote:

And I think, as Walpurgis has proposed, we could add that no harm is done to others.

And here you admit it can be improved.

Quote:

That is, are we going to irrationally assume that we know that there is no value in such images/memes just because we can't explain their value through reason? Are we going to assume that we know better and ignore many people's direct experience that they do in fact have spiritual value?

Summary) These are the key questions that I personally would like to see convergence on.

I will say it again: If the act or activity cannot be reasonably justified, it cannot be condoned. Notice that says nothing about images, processes, memes or anything else that was used to choose the action. There is a lot of room here for creativity, intution, instinct, emotion and other non-rational tools. Anything that helps us act in a way that can be reasonably justified is valuable.

Does that clarify anything?
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #57 on: 2003-01-06 17:16:36 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2003-01-06 15:45:37   

Here is a simple counter-argument.

1. The Golden Rules states that you should treat others how you wish to be treated yourself.
2. I wish to be treated like a responsible adult.
3. Therefore, (from 1 and 2) I should treat others as responsible adults.

However, not everyone else is responsible and not everyone else is an adult. Something is clearly wrong with the argument. Could it be the first premise?

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-06 16:14:59   

Hmmmm... your use of the Golden Rule above is different from how I (and I think most others) have interpreted it... so I don't think it invalidates it but rather shows that it is possible to create a non-common-sense interpretation that is clearly of no value.

What exactly is wrong with my interpretation?

If the GRE needs a common-sense interpretation, are you saying that you need reason to apply it correctly?

Quote:

Your interpretation is on a scale that, if one continued down it, would lead to "I wish someone would become my happy and content slave. Therefore I should become someone's happy and content slave."

You lost me. Can you spell out how my interpretation would lead to reversing the sense of the maxim?

Quote:

In the old days, the Golden Rule HAD to be an extremely simple meme -- a few words. The advantages of a short easy to remember meme had to compete with the disadvantage of logically nonsensical interpretations; and the utility of a short meme won. But arguably, on the Internet, perhaps the shortness is not so important, and we could go for a longer statement that is less vulnerable to absurd interpretations.

Why did it have to be an extremely simple meme? People in the "old days" were just as intelligent as we are.

I think the whole problem with the GRE is its simplicity. You need to apply it reasonably given different situations.

Quote:

Can we agree that trying to find a more logically pure GR statement is a worthy goal and a candidate for the first virtue, one that would trump arguments based on reason that came to a conclusion inconsistent with this "verbose Golden Rule"?

Sure, I think that is worth a try.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #58 on: 2003-01-06 17:20:44 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-06 16:36:41   

My only big problem with it, in fact, other than that it is speculation (albeit intelligent speculation), is that it seems that every generation thinks they have found THE answer, and emergent phenomena seems to be our generation's pet answer. That makes me view it with suspicion; I am doubtful that it happens to be our generation that is really on the verge of understanding consciousness because that would be Just Too Cool.

At least this generation knows that there is no such thing as THE answer and that we are just coming up with better (more accurate, more sophisticated) models for the phenomena we are trying to understand. Given that, I see no reason to be suspicous of complexity theories of consciousness.
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #59 on: 2003-01-06 17:21:43 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: