logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 19:36:59 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Anne Rice quits Christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Anne Rice quits Christianity  (Read 1537 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Anne Rice quits Christianity
« on: 2010-08-13 18:06:07 »

I enjoy a good blasphemous rant with my breakfast, and Anne Rice does it so neat and politely. -Mo

Anne Rice 8/4/2010 via FaceBook: I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

CNN News video interview: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/04/anne-rice-on-her-decision_n_671097.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx8BVrRmdK8

ABC News interview

« Last Edit: 2010-08-13 18:54:02 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Anne Rice quits Christianity
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-13 18:58:01 »

George Dvorsky 37 min ago via Twitter: Oy, looks like I jumped the gun on the whole Anne Rice 'atheist' thing. Appears far from.

MoEnzyme: Atheist? No. Infidel? Yes.

Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-13 23:54:50 »

Anne Rice via Facebook 8/4/2010: My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.

John Grigg via Facebook 22 minutes ago: It will be very interesting to see how her "one woman Christianity" evolves... A "First Church of Anne Rice" could develop quite a following...

MoEnzyme: @John Grigg - A church for infidels. I think there are already a few of those, but she already has such a following I could really see her being more effective than others. LOTS of otherwise religious church-attending women really like her statement here. Women are generally much greater fans church culture than men, but often the leadership of these groups are antithetical to many of their deepest values. Even though she's not really an atheist, she's in a position to stir up American religious society much more than other infidels.

ps - Steve Witham via facebook 8/13 @ 23:47:41: Honk if you love thy neighbor and love Jesus but not thy neighbor who loves Jesus.

« Last Edit: 2010-08-14 00:48:52 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-25 21:35:18 »

Anne Rice has made it plain on many occasions that the common thread in her rather diverse literary career has been seeking a way to deal with the loss of her daughter.  You can't expect her to suddenly decide rationality is the answer to something that embracing death, kinky sex, and Christianity in succession have failed to do.  But it is kind of nice that such a prominent person did figure out that, whatever the answer is, organized Christianity isn't it.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-26 10:39:31 »

Quote from: localroger on 2010-10-25 21:35:18   

Anne Rice has made it plain on many occasions that the common thread in her rather diverse literary career has been seeking a way to deal with the loss of her daughter.  You can't expect her to suddenly decide rationality is the answer to something that embracing death, kinky sex, and Christianity in succession have failed to do.  But it is kind of nice that such a prominent person did figure out that, whatever the answer is, organized Christianity isn't it.

:::Mo's ears perk up at the mention of death and kinky sex:::

Welcome back, Localroger!

Mo Enzyme

localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-27 20:46:51 »

Thanks for the welcome, Mo.  Re: Anne Rice I liked the comment I saw on another board:  "Does this mean I get to enjoy The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty again?"
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: