logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-30 05:14:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

Saints
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Saints  (Read 1402 times)
ObfuscatoryAlias
Initiate

Rate ObfuscatoryAlias

View Profile
Saints
« on: 2007-05-07 18:11:16 »

Was there not more than one saint at one point on the main site? If so, why have they fallen?

Speaking of the main site, it may be of interested that there are a few dead links.
Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Saints
« Reply #1 on: 2007-05-07 19:30:33 »

Q: Was there not more than one saint at one point on the main site?

A:
No. The only Saint of the CoV to be featured on the web site, which incidentally isn't the "main site" (see the Wiki which has mechanisms for establishing consensus and authoritative articles), is St Darwin. The second Saint to have been illuminated by the CoV is St Hypatia who is commemorated in the Wiki (and an article on her featured in the first edition of the Ideohazard).

Q: If so, why have they fallen?

A:
They precedent having failed, the consequent is therefore invalid.

Q: Speaking of the main site [Hermit: NOT "main". cf Supra], it may be of interested that there are a few dead links.

A:
Likely more than a few, but it takes money and time to look after such things even if one finds them interesting. Volunteering?

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS If somebody feels like sponsoring me to "HMS BEAGLE: Survey Ship Extraordinary (Anatomy of the Ship) (Hardcover), Karl Marquardt, 2003, Conway Maritime Press, ISBN 978-0851777030" I would love to attempt to construct a sailing replica in Second Life in time for the 2009 Darwin celebrations. A purchase using the above link, which conforms to the format needed to contribute to the coffers of the CoV, would, as always, be appreciated.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2007-05-07 23:24:28 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2007-05-07 19:30:33   

PS If somebody feels like sponsoring me to "HMS BEAGLE: Survey Ship Extraordinary (Anatomy of the Ship) (Hardcover), Karl Marquardt, 2003, Conway Maritime Press, ISBN 978-0851777030" I would love to attempt to construct a sailing replica in Second Life in time for the 2009 Darwin celebrations. A purchase using the above link, which conforms to the format needed to contribute to the coffers of the CoV, would, as always, be appreciated.

I'll sponsor that.
teh
Adept

Rate teh

I'm still still learning

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2007-05-10 11:19:46 »

I understand how to donate to the CoV via paypal (as explained in this FAQ), but, if my understanding is correct, were you (Hermit) suggesting something a little different by "If somebody feels like sponsoring me to ..."?

ie. Is there a way to purchase items to be sent directly to CoV members, or the funds themselves? Possibly allocating a certain portion of funds to a specific project? or perhaps this would open an unwanted can of worms?
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007-05-10 12:30:10 »

Q: I understand how to donate to the CoV via paypal (as explained in this FAQ), but, if my understanding is correct, were you (Hermit) suggesting something a little different by "If somebody feels like sponsoring me to ..."?

A:
Yes. Having invested a great deal of money and many hundreds of hours on our SL site, and anticipating spending a lot more, I was asking if another CoV member would buy the reference work I had identified as an appropriate guide to the breeding of beagles (or at least a best of breed beagle) in the basement as a way of sharing some of the cost if not the effort.

Q: ie. Is there a way to purchase items to be sent directly to CoV members, or the funds themselves? Possibly allocating a certain portion of funds to a specific project? or perhaps this would open an unwanted can of worms?

A:
Amazon will both provide a percentage of the sale to the CoV and will ship books to Amazon members without disclosing more information than absolutely necessary (a user name). I hadn't anticipated that Lucifer (who is AFAIK the only CoV member to have invested more than me on our SL presence) making this contribution, but it is very welcome anyway. Paypal can be used to contribute to many of our members (as well as to the Cov) and SLX is another potential gifting channel I may explore, as SL users can sign up there and then pay for things to be delivered in world to other avatars.

I don't think that anyone will be unhappy if any funds arrive in the coffers of the CoV, even if they are earmarked for projects, though I would recommend making suggestions, rather than prescribing limitations, leaving it to Lucifer's discretion how best to disburse them. So far, with a few small but welcome exceptions, David Lucifer has borne almost all of the rather large costs - monetary and time - of establishing and maintaining our presence in our various on-line forums, and on the basis that a good deed seldom goes unpunished, has received very little other than complaints and abuse for his efforts. Which is why I try to remember to thank him particularly each time I experience another delightful example of his care, gentleness and consideration even when I am unable to help with funds. Current running costs on the SL site alone exceed $US 200/month and expansion is necessitated by the current shortage of prims.

Kindest regards

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: