Re: virus: idea vs. meme

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 15:44:24 MST

Hi Chris, and welcome.

Didja like "The Lucifer Principle"? Or Virus of the Mind?

Here is my opinion of your first question. It's probably not all that
coherent as I am just spouting off the top of my mind whatever comes to
it.

Memes, though sometimes used intentionally, generally refer to the
spread of information, including ideas, in a manner that is not
intentional on the part of the person passing the meme on. The
stereotype for instance "Mexicans are lazy" is not an idea - it's not
actually thought out by those who carry that meme. It's spread by it's
meme holders on accident, through their normal activity of
communication. The original meme started because the of vast differences
in work attitude and behavior between Mexican nationals and US Business
interests. Despite being wholly innacurate the meme spreads.

so - an idea is a meme if it is spread, but a meme is not necessarily an
idea. And an idea that is not spread cannot be a meme.

And I agree, the meme is a tool that is simply easier to work with - a
socket wrench where all we used to have was an open end wrench. We are
not talking about a revolution of social theory, but tools to expand and
comprehend what we theories we as a people have and are building.

That's the simple version - I am sure someone here willing to instill
the time and effort to give a good explanation - 'til that happens, I
can offer the cheap and dirty explanation.