virus: idea vs. meme

From: Chris Donaldson (chrisdtx@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 13:40:27 MST

Hello all- I'm new to this list and memetics in general. So far, I've read Bloom's The Lucifer Principle and have just started Brodie's Virus of the Mind. Anyway, using Brodie's definition of a meme:

"...a unit of information in a mind whose existence influences events such that more copies of itself get created in other minds."

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the difference between an "idea" and a "meme"? They seem synonymous. The idea that ideas, depending on their ability to "survive" where others fade into obscurity (by providing useful constructs from which to base observations or provide a framework for reality for instance) doesn't seem new. The idea that individuals who relate to or invest in these ideas would be compelled to do what is needed for the survival of said religion or government or whatever doesn't seem profound. The negative aspects of mass media aren't secret. This metameme/idea was engineered around the same time as various computer related technologies were maturing and entering into public consciousness. Could it be that memetics is just a re-hash or "cyberizing" of existing (read well worn) social theory. What's really novel here besides the vocabulary? I really don't mean do be too negative or overly challenging with my first post. These are the questions that I have been asking myself since beginning to read Virus and your list seems a good place to air them.
Also, and on a more positive note, has there been any credible work related to the philosophic implications of memetic theory or practical ethical/moral applications?