RE: virus: idea vs. meme

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 16:45:16 MST

Best analogy I can come up with (my favorite literary tool and I use it a
lot, by the way), is the difference between "citrus" and "orange"...
although, in this case, I'm not sure which one falls into the meta-category.
Any takers? My take on the difference between "meme" and "idea" is that
words constrain rather than define, most times. Either term can be used in
the same sentence correctly for the most part, in which case they're like
"hill" and "rise"... Although the word "meme" in my mind brings up
Darwinistic connotations whereas the word "idea" does not. Probably
equivalent terms, but depends a lot on your perception.

Kalkor