Re: virus: Rehoe the Yashamite PING Hermit

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 10:47:04 MST

I have one simple question. You and I both know or can easily lookup the
value of pi to N places. What's to stop us from encoding that information in
a poem, ode, sonnet, fruitcake recipe etc? That being said, would it at all
diminish one's ability to do so if one was a priest of some religion, and
proclaimed that one's ability to do so was due to the glory and power of
one's god/gods/sacred stuffed monkey?

Therefore, if one's culture had determined the value of pi (or even a close
approximation) anyone with that knowlege could do just that. Whether or not
the Vedics specifically did it is outside the scope of my point, but it
seems that a lot of your text on the matter seems to expound the belief that
if X has religious background or intent then X must be rubbish. Meaning that
either I misunderstand a repeated part of your point or that you too are in
some fashion replying based on your personal beliefs and not pure logic.

-ben