Re: virus: The Evolutionary Theory of Sexual Attraction

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 13:12:17 MST

> [Hermit] As many here already know, I feel that monagomy and marriage are
> highly counter survival and almost designed to cause break-ups due to the
> very high stress levels placed on the parents. Further, I have yet to see
> anyone successfully defend either monagomy or marriage on a rational
basis.
> If anyone here chooses to attempt this, I will try to give them a
response.

Seeing as I'm about to become engaged, I'm really hoping to see some comment
from people :)
>From a practical utilitarian perspective, here's my contribution re
marriage:

My happiness factor is higher when she's around, or when I know I'll see her
soon. Not to say that I can't be happy on my own, just that she nudges that
needle upwards as a general rule. Therefore, if my day-to-day is bettered by
her presence, then it makes sense to plan for that in the future.
I realize that marriage is by no means a guarantee, I grew up amid the
detritus and emotional shrapnel of several divorces. However, it lends an
air of permanence to the arrangement that offers greater comfort to both
parties (one would hope, anyways), and even staunch atheists can admit the
power that rituals have on human perception.

The above is why I don't write for Hallmark, I guess.

Monogamy I have no defense for, other than it lessens hurt feelings among
emotionally-challenged and societally-stifled members (ie the majority) of
the human species. No these two opinions aren't incongruous; there are all
kinds of marriages.

-ben