RE: virus: Mermaid, a lady of faith making a phule of herself?

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:04:07 MST

Kirk, contrary to what Hermit has been trying to spread, and in the most
foul manner too, I am not promoting Vedic Mathematics. Nor am I
'anti-occidental'. Maybe some here are anti-oriental, but that is another
story. However, I will attempt to understand the concept and I am willing to
accept it or discard it depending on the merits of the system...not on the
author's religious beliefs or country of origin...

As I learn more about it<and the book has been ordered too>,I am
wondering...how is it different from the Trachtenberg system of
mathematics...If an oral tradition aids one to remember mathematical rules
by constructing verses in Sanskrit, the language of learning of that
time...vedic mathematics seems to be a very valid and systematic approach to
tutor anyone...allergy to the word, 'vedas' because of its association to
Hinduism, the religion is plain childishness.

I dont think vedic mathematics is about steganography. A little thought will
prove that its more about Mnemonics/memory aids. There has been many
mnemonic aids over time. Acronyms<SOB=Son Of a Bitch>, Acrostics<Kings Phil
Came Over for the Genes Special (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Genus,
Species)>..Hermann Ebbinghaus's experiments with memory and
language...Remember the Alphabet song? Alice in Wonderland, "A quick brown
fox jumped over the lazy dog."?..puzzles, rhymes, memory songs,
limericks...its not just an 'occidental' thing...