RE: virus: Mermaid, a lady of faith making a phule of herself?

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:27:23 MST

[Mermaid] Kirk, contrary to what Hermit has been trying to spread, and in
the most foul manner too, I am not promoting Vedic Mathematics.

[Hermit] No lass, you are doing it all by yourself and if not trying to
"promote 'Vedic Mathematics' [ed. Rational translation = 'Horseshit']" you
are doing a very bad job of not attempting to do so.

[Mermaid] As I learn more about it<and the book has been ordered too>,I am
wondering...how is it different from the Trachtenberg system of
mathematics...If an oral tradition aids one to remember mathematical rules
by constructing verses in Sanskrit, the language of learning of that
time...vedic mathematics seems to be a very valid and systematic approach to
tutor anyone...allergy to the word, 'vedas' because of its association to
Hinduism, the religion is plain childishness.

[Hermit] More "nibble my droppings" material.

[Hermit] Because the works give PI as "For example in the Baudhayana
Sulbasutra, as well as the value of 676/225, there appears 900/289 and
1156/361. In different Sulbasutras the values 2.99, 3.00, 3.004, 3.029,
3.047, 3.088, 3.1141, 3.16049 and 3.2022 can all be found; see [6]. In [3]
the value = 25/8 = 3.125 is found in the Manava Sulbasutras."

[Hermit] So they didn't fucking understand the nature of PI - never mind its
value to a number of places that it took another 4000 years to determine. So
they couldn't make up mnemonics to remember it. That's why.

Hermit

PS Tempted by Mermaid's intransigence to agree with Steele on the Biosocial
issue - but remembering that his sister, once a very cute brownie in the
days when boys weren't allowed to join, is a better mathematician than he
will ever be.