logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 10:55:59 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

Suggestion for the post-Joe Dees era..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Suggestion for the post-Joe Dees era..  (Read 3469 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Suggestion for the post-Joe Dees era..
« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-12 10:24:16 »

Pabreetzio wrote:

woah, from the few of joe dees posts ive read he doesnt seem like that bad of a guy. I just joined CoV but I dont understand what the big deal is here. Why would you ever want to kick a member. Ive been in online groups before where everyone wanted to kicke me out and its not fun. I had hoped that a place like this would not resort to the sort of bullying i see everywhere else, but i guess it cant be avoided. But I dont like it.

[Jake] If Joe's recent posts seem nice to you, its only because he's been mostly ignored for a long time (months).  He has a long history of disruption both here and elswhere (Journal of Memetics and at least one other transhumanist list that kicked him off).  Joe's Meridion ranking alone should tell you who the bully is here.

[Pabreetzio] I especially dont like comments in which people make it seem like the only reason to have anything to do with this church is its political discussions? thats weird. and that youre not going to participate in the chuch because the political discussion is flooded by this one member? why doesnt the moderator, whoever it is, david im guessing, just delete the copy and paste posts if joe dees does that so regularly?

[Jake] Probably for the same reason that you stated above, that would be a form of "kicking him off" when we don't do the same to other people who cut and paste.  Of course Joe's volume of C&P's is several orders of magnitude greater anyone else, but as a community we could never decide on an volume that was acceptable.  Joe also has an extraordinary tendency to not listen, wishing to rather turn CoV into his classroom with him as the teacher pouring out volumes of assigned reading which he expects others to read before he deems them competant to converse on any political topic (especially the Iraq war as if everyone wasn't already saturated on that topic).

[Jake] We couldn't objectively quantify that attitude so easily until David created Meridion, which takes input from the entire community (Joe included) to produce its ratings.  Joe has not merely been the passive recipient of negative judgments, he has worked hard to achieve his low Meridion ranking, in fact the lowest one in CoV.  A rather large number of CoVers are no longer with us because they left due to conflicts in which Joe played a central part.  Sometimes Hermit, or myself, or someone else would be his "enemy" for a while, but Joe remains the constant factor.  Since he has been filtered somewhat and is now much easier to ignore, things have slowly improved, but we were nearly a dead group before that, except of course for Joe's wars.

[Jake] Just looking at your Meridion ranking confirms what I already could have guessed from your interactions here, that you are in no danger of being filtered and that you don't disrupt and dominate like Joe does.  In short you aren't a bully, so unless you get a sudden change of heart or behavior I wouldn't worry about anyone kicking you off.  Indeed we haven't even really kicked Joe off, we just moved him to the margin somewhat based on his well earned Meridion ranking.  So if he is safe, you are very safe.

-Rev. Jake
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: