logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 23:45:04 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

En Passant
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: En Passant  (Read 24970 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:En Passant
« Reply #90 on: 2012-03-17 11:22:37 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2012-03-12 14:36:34   

[Blunderov] Just a note to say I'm not gone, just extremely busy. I have a new job (back in Jo'burg) as a lecturer in TV tech at a film school and I have never lectured in my life before. Also my knowledge deficits are many. I have never had to take on so many new and complex tasks all at the same time before and so far it's going quite well (I think) but it remains to be seen whether I can really cut the mustard. Whatever the outcome, I will have learned a great deal myself either way. This certainly the hardest I've ever had to work before so please excuse my lack of interaction and keep fighting the good fight. Best regards to all.

Very cool! How does one become a lecturer at a film school? What kinds of topics to you address in TV tech?
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #91 on: 2012-03-17 17:40:57 »

[David] Very cool! How does one become a lecturer at a film school? What kinds of topics to you address in TV tech?

[Blunderov] One becomes a lecturer, in my case, by blind fortune. I suppose they were desperate and there is an academic mechanism wherebye extensive experience can be parlayed into the same credibilty as a degree (I have no degree of any kind). Nevertheless the graduation ceremony I had to attend was somewhat uncomfortable. Me there on the stage in a plain black undergraduate gown and all these gorgeous academics preening in there festive crimsons, purples and stripes. I stood out like a cornplaster on a coalheap -in reverse! I should have worn a construction helmet.

The subjects I address are in TV studio and field operations: lighting, vision mixing, vision control, camerawork, floor managing, technical directing, video playback and recording, editing, CG and sound.

I am not an expert in all of these fields and I have had a great deal of catching up to do but I'm getting there - if rather slower than I might wish. And lecturing is entirely new to me: luckily my wonderful wife is a very experienced university lecturer and I have had the great good fortune to have her advice and guidance -abeit from a 1000 miles away. Strange days but I'm super stimulated and beginning to enjoy it more and more. Early days though. Still a hard row to hoe.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #92 on: 2012-03-17 18:30:23 »

Hey Blunderov,

Great adventure; all the best !

Found this photo while sorting disk drives from days gone by. You had posted. It got clocked from CoV during a DB oops I think; shortly after you posted it.

It was such a cool shot I thought I'd put it up again.

Cheers

Fritz
 Devils_Peak_in_crepuscular_light_60_percent_orig.jpg

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #93 on: 2013-03-17 05:11:08 »

I rather liked this.

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." ~ Diane Arbus.

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #94 on: 2013-03-18 10:37:24 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2013-03-17 05:11:08   

I rather liked this.

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." ~ Diane Arbus.

[Fritz]Agreed

http://pinterest.com/wassernymphchen/a-photograph-is-a-secret-about-a-secret-the-more-i/

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #95 on: 2013-04-01 14:57:11 »

[Blunderov]@ Fritz Thanks for the link. Some keepers there!

In other news:

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009341/sainthood-for-bobby-fischer-010413.aspx

<snip> Sainthood for Bobby Fischer?

1.4.2013 - It has come to our attention that an application for Sainthood has been made for the late World Champion Bobby Fischer. This was initiated by Stan Vaughan of the World Chess Federation. The application cites six postmortem miracles that were prayed for and verified as having occurred – normally only two are required.

The "notification of verifiable postmortem miracles and request for sainthood for Icelander" was addressed to Father Jacob Rolland, as the Catholic minister who sanctified Bobby at his secret and speedy 10-minute burial in 2008. The letter, written by Stan Vaughan of the "World Chess Federation", was sent to Father Rolland and twelve further writers, journalists and chess personalities, including Fischer's friend Einar S. Einarsson of Reykjavik, Iceland, who passed it on to us (we were not on the list).

<edit.BL.>

"We have become convinced after five years of prayers made to Bobby Fischer that we thus notify you of these postmortem miracles in responses to our annual observations to remember his death January 17, 2008," the letter begins. It is declared an "application for Sainthood for Bobby Fischer" and a request "to declare the anniversary of his death January 17, 2008 as his day of sainthood". The miracles prayed for and verified as having occurred include the following (we quote verbatim):

In 2009 Prayers were made for middle east peace to Bobby Fischer and on January 17 Israel declared unilateral withdrawl and ceasefire from Gaza during Gaza war and later same day Hamas also declared cease fire.

In 2010 Prayers to Fischer to help 1 million victims of Haiti earthquake victims led to overwhelming amounts of aid arriving at Haiti airport on January 17, 2010

In 2011 Prayers to Fischer to help Christians gain relief from Sudan oppressors led to referendum and Jan 17 declaration that 99% vote in favor independence and oppressors recognized South Sudan independence

In 2012 prayers for peace led to Jan 17, 2012 first time in history India and China declaring plan to resolve long time border disputes

In 2013 prayers for release of Algerian hostages led to 100 plus hostages freed on Jan 17, 2013

We refrain from commenting on the viability of the application, and from reproducing the portrait picture of Father Jakob Rolland. We also do not wish to judge whether all this is in good taste or not. We are just reporting the facts."</snip>

[Bl.] from Self Hating Jew to Catholic saint? Things that make you go Hmmm...

In another event (which is unlikely to substantively change the world view of the congregation) there where astonishing shenanigans at the Candidates tournament in London today.

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009346/candidates-r14--leaders-lose-carlsen-qualifies-010413.aspx

"Candidates R14 – leaders lose, Carlsen qualifies

1.4.2013 - Magnus Carlsen overpressed a messy position against Peter Svidler and was swiftly punished. However Kramnik gambled all of his chips, and Ivanchuk simply took them all! Carlsen’s luck has not abandoned him and he is now the official challenger against Anand for the World Chess Championship, edging out the Russian’s great performance by virtue of his better tiebreak. </snip>

[Bl.] In a way one could say that Ivanchuk was the the true winner. In spite of having lost on time 5(!) times during the course of this elite tournament he was somehow able to trounce both of the leaders along the way.

In the final round today if Carlsen had won he would have been the candidate irrespective of Kramniks result. If Kramnik had drawn, all Carlsen would have had to do was to draw as well. Instead, they both lost their games and Carlsen still goes through! Amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vassily_Ivanchuk

<snip>"Chucky", as Ivanchuk is called, has been described by Viswanathan Anand as the most eccentric player in the chess world. Anand, tongue-in-cheek, gave his view on Ivanchuk like this:

He's someone who is very intelligent ... but you never know which mood he is going to be in. Some days he will treat you like his long-lost brother. The next day he ignores you completely. The players have a word for him. They say he lives on "Planet Ivanchuk". (Laughs) ...

I have seen him totally drunk and singing Ukrainian poetry and then the next day I have seen him give an impressive talk. His playing style is unpredictable and highly original, making him more dangerous but sometimes leading to quick losses as well. </snip>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: