logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-27 03:47:33 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

The Turing test
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Turing test  (Read 6740 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:The Turing test
« Reply #30 on: 2003-01-23 10:49:01 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-22 20:39:46   

It's true today that there is no other way of determining concsciousness other than behaviour.

So if that doesn't change by the time we have machines that can pass the Turing test, then you agree that we will categorize them as conscious, treat them as conscious, and for all intents and purposes they will be conscious.

Quote:

There is no reason to think that statement will always be true other than that old favorite "it can't be done today therefore it can never be done."

I will give you one very good reason. Consciousness is necessarily subjective which means it is not amenable to scientific inquiry. Have you read anything by David Chalmers on the subject? I would recommend Facing Up to the Problem of Consciousness.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
The really hard problem of consciousness is the problem of experience. When we think and perceive, there is a whir of information-processing, but there is also a subjective aspect. As Nagel (1974) has put it, there is something it is like to be a conscious organism. This subjective aspect is experience. When we see, for example, we experience visual sensations: the felt quality of redness, the experience of dark and light, the quality of depth in a visual field. Other experiences go along with perception in different modalities: the sound of a clarinet, the smell of mothballs. Then there are bodily sensations, from pains to orgasms; mental images that are conjured up internally; the felt quality of emotion, and the experience of a stream of conscious thought. What unites all of these states is that there is something it is like to be in them. All of them are states of experience.

I assume that it is this aspect, the experience of consciousness, that we are talking about here.

Report to moderator   Logged
garyrob
Neophyte

My company has built a system for evolving text...
garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #31 on: 2003-01-24 09:00:14 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2003-01-24 10:14:06 by garyrob » Report to moderator   Logged

--
Help your email get through while making life harder for spammers: use http://wecanstopspam.org in your sig.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
http://www.transpose.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0101454
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #32 on: 2003-01-24 11:22:33 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-24 09:00:14   

I think you are dead wrong in the jump you are making. Just because consciousness is experience, and we know virtually nothing about it, and therefore, today, have no reliable way to determine whether a turning-test-passing-machine is conscious, does not mean that that will always be the case.

Chalmers explains why, and as you note he is a professional writer so is likely to be more convincing than my paraphrasings. But I will try.

Quote:

Let's see if I understand your point of view.

* You seem to agree that consciousness and passing the Turing test are different matters. In other words, you seem to agree with me that the Turing test isn't valid as a determinant of what is and isn't conscious.

No, I said it is reasonable to assume the Turing test is a valid determinant.

Quote:

* You also seem to be saying that since consciousness is subjective experience, it will be forever out of reach of our understanding; therefore we will never have a better way than the Turing test for knowing whether something is conscious.

I didn't say it will be forever out of reach of our understanding. I even suggested a way we might come to understand consciousness, as an emergent property of massive computation.

Quote:

* You therefore draw the conclusion that if something passes the Turing test we have a moral imperative to treat it as conscious. You conclude that it doesn't matter, in a sense, whether it is or isn't conscious, since there is no way for us to know for sure. For all practical intents and purposes, the Turing test is remains the standard.

That is the best test we have today. But my real point is that no matter what test anyone devises in the future, it will be essentially the same as the Turning test. Things we already assume are conscious will pass the test. Things we assume are not conscious will not pass the test. But if an artificial intelligence passes the test it won't tell us whether it is "really" conscious or not because someone (like you) can always say, "Sure, it appears to be conscious, but there is more to consciousness than appearances."

Quote:

That is, you think it's completely impossible because subjective experience is not a class of thing we can know far more about than we do. I am saying that that's exactly logically equivalent to someone saying long ago that  the nature of the objects in the sky was not knowable because the sky is not a class of thing that we could know far more about than we did then. In one case, the supposed reason is that it is subjective experience. In the other, it's that it's too high. But the two assumptions are logically equivalent as far as I can see.

The two cases are not equivalent because you are equivocating physical impossibility with logical impossibility. If detecting consciousness was just physically impossible like travelling faster than light, of course I would be foolish to say that we will never be able to do it. However I say that is is logically impossible, so unless you can come up with an error in my logic I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that we will never be able to do it.
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #33 on: 2003-01-24 11:41:34 »

--
Help your email get through while making life harder for spammers: use http://wecanstopspam.org in your sig.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #34 on: 2003-01-25 10:16:05 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-01-24 11:41:34   
Then, suppose we have something that acts like a human, but uses a single extremely fast processor. Then, by our understanding of consciousness, something that you state we may have at some point, the thing that acts like a human using a single processor wouldn't be conscious.

How do you resolve that?

Well either the single-processor isn't really conscious or our understanding of consciousness is lacking.  How do you decide which is the case?

Quote:
Answering VERY quickly, I don't agree that it is logically impossible to detect consciousness.

If  one were to assume, as you say you do, that we may understand consciousness in the future, we may understand it to have certain signs. For instance, a very compact body of a  lot of massive particles NECESSARIly has the associated "sign" of gravity. There may be associated signs of consciousness. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that there won't be, if one believes we may be able to understand consciousness.

You have already stated quite clearly that any possible signs of consciousness don't tell you whether or not it is conscious.

Quote:
But even without detection of signs, our understanding may enable us to say: we understand the conditions under which consciousness arises, such as the emergent phenomenon mentioned above; and something that doesn't have those conditions therefore isn't conscious, whether or not it passes the turning test.

Whether or not the entity in question displays the conditions under which consciousness arises is just more signs and behavior that you have already discarded as inadmissable evidence. I can still imagine a machine that fulfills all possible criteria of this kind and yet is not conscious, in the same way you can imagine something passing the Turing test without being conscious. The problem is you can't detect consciousness because the very word "detect" means to observe objective phenomena. You can certainly correlate objective phenomena with things you believe to be conscious (which is my position), but you can't use that to determine if it is "really" conscious (which is your position).
« Last Edit: 2003-01-25 10:17:29 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Ophis
Magister

Rate Ophis

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #35 on: 2003-01-25 12:51:10 »

Pardon my intrusion in this dialog but I'm finding this exchange to be very interesting.  Could it be that a single indicator (like a Turing test) wouldn't be enough to indicate the presence of counsciousness but that a greater number of indicators (say 3 or 4) would tip the probability balance towards the general acceptance of a system's consciousness?  A measurement of probability would seem to be the only way to judge a system's possession of any subjective and non-appearant attributes.

For example, how do we determine if someone is "crazy"?  I'm no expert on the matter :-D but I'd assume that the psycologists look for a number of elements of behavior and if a number of them are present in an individual, then that individual is deemed to be crazy.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #36 on: 2003-01-30 17:54:38 »

Quote from: Ophis on 2003-01-25 12:51:10   

Pardon my intrusion in this dialog but I'm finding this exchange to be very interesting.  Could it be that a single indicator (like a Turing test) wouldn't be enough to indicate the presence of counsciousness but that a greater number of indicators (say 3 or 4) would tip the probability balance towards the general acceptance of a system's consciousness?

Multiple indicators can't hurt, but a single indicator is sufficient for most people. Something like the Turing test is all I use on IRC for example, and my confidence in the belief that the participants (excluding the bots) are conscious is up around the 99% range. Extra indicators wouldn't help much.
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #37 on: 2003-02-03 10:09:52 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #38 on: 2003-02-03 10:48:06 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #39 on: 2003-02-03 11:21:22 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #40 on: 2003-02-03 19:00:21 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-02-03 10:09:52   

I can't recall exactly what I said that you are interpreting that way, but I certainly do not believe what you are saying I have "stated quite clearly."

You said it when you rejected the Turing test as a test for consciousness. Your reason was that it could pass the test and still not be conscious. I took that to mean that you don't count objective phenomena as a test for consciousness. Have you changed your mind?

Quote:

If I did say something to that effect, I meant it in the way that I also say I can't really know whether or not I am a brain in a vat being proded to think I am reading a message from you.

Intesting that you should bring that up. Do you think it is possible in the future to devise a test to discover whether or not you are a brain in a vat? I don't think it is possible, because any possible test results could be just more signals sent to the brain in the vat.

Quote:

That is, my belief is that it is impossible to know anything of consequence as an absolute fact, but for practical purposes, that doesn't matter. What I am interested in is acquiring knowledge that reaches a practical point of certainty.

That is what I have been arguing all along. Even though we can't know for certain whether something is conscious because all we have is access to objective phenomena, we can be reasonably sure if it passes the test.

Quote:

Hopefully we can take "Gary has discarded signs as inadmissable evidence," a thesis explicitly, directly, and obviously contradicted in the message you're responding to here,  and contradicted again in the present message, out of the picture.

Frankly, it's a waste of time to respond to a statement of X by saying "you have already admitted not-X" because obviously the person believes X if he is saying it.

So let's not waste our time, OK?

Well given that you have claimed both X and not-X at different times I wasn't sure what you really thought. Either an objective test for consciousness is sufficient or it is not.

Quote:

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to admit above that there may be objective things that we are correlated with consciousness, other than the Turing test. You don't say so explicitly, but you seem to imply it.

I have no doubt that there are objective phenomena correlated with consciousness. We already have that, and that's how I can tell when someone else is conscious. In fact, I claim that is the only way to know. But you have pointed out that even if something passes every test, it is still possible to imagine that it isn't really conscious.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #41 on: 2003-02-03 19:19:13 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-02-03 10:48:06   
Do you or do you not think it may be possible to understand consciousness the way scientists normally mean when they say they understand something (as opposed to saying they are making a hypothesis based on some evidence).

I do not think it is possible as long as we are talking about science as the study of objective phenomena and consciousness as the subjective experience.

The following is quoted from The Puzzle of Conscious Experience by David Chalmers which appeared in Scientific American in December 1995:

The Hard Problem

Researchers use the word "consciousness" in many different ways. To clarify the issues, we first have to separate the problems that are often clustered together under the name. For this purpose, I find it useful to distinguish between the "easy problems" and the "hard problem" of consciousness. The easy problems are by no means trivial - they are actually as challenging as most in psychology and biology - but it is with the hard problem that the central mystery lies.

The easy problems of consciousness include the following: How can a human subject discriminate sensory stimuli and react to them appropriately? How does the brain integrate information from many different sources and use this information to control behavior? How is it that subjects can verbalize their internal states? Although all these questions are associated with consciousness, they all concern the objective mechanisms of the cognitive system. Consequently, we have every reason to expect that continued work in cognitive psychology and neuroscience will answer them.

The hard problem, in contrast, is the question of how physical processes in the brain give rise to subjective experience. This puzzle involves the inner aspect of thought and perception: the way things feel for the subject. When we see, for example, we experience visual sensations, such as that of vivid blue. Or think of the ineffable sound of a distant oboe, the agony of an intense pain, the sparkle of happiness or the meditative quality of a moment lost in thought. All are part of what I am calling consciousness. It is these phenomena that pose the real mystery of the mind.

ISOLATED NEUROSCIENTIST in a black-and-white room knows everything about how the brain processes colors but does not know what it is like to see them. This scenario suggests that knowledge of the brain does not yield complete knowledge of conscious experience.

To illustrate the distinction, consider a thought experiment devised by the Australian philosopher Frank Jackson. Suppose that Mary, a neuroscientist in the 23rd century, is the world's leading expert on the brain processes responsible for color vision. But Mary has lived her whole life in a black-and-white room and has never seen any other colors. She knows everything there is to know about physical processes in the brain - its biology, structure and function. This understanding enables her to grasp everything there is to know about the easy problems: how the brain discriminates stimuli, integrates information and produces verbal reports. From her knowledge of color vision, she knows the way color names correspond with wavelengths on the light spectrum. But there is still something crucial about color vision that Man does not know: what it is like to experience a color such as red. It follows that there are facts about conscious experience that cannot be deduced from physical facts about the functioning of the brain.

Indeed, nobody knows why these physical processes are accompanied by conscious experience at all. Why is it that when our brains process light of a certain wavelength, we have an experience of deep purple? Why do we have any experience at all? Could not an unconscious automaton have performed the same tasks just as well? These are questions that we would like a theory of consciousness to answer.

I am not denying that consciousness arises from the brain. We know, for example, that the subjective experience of vision is closely linked to processes in the visual cortex. It is the link itself that perplexes, however. Remarkably, subjective experience seems to emerge from a physical process. But we have no idea how or why this is.

« Last Edit: 2003-02-03 19:19:45 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #42 on: 2003-02-03 19:23:38 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-02-03 11:21:22   
Or I guess to put it in clearer terms:

Do you or do you not think it is POSSIBLE that we may one day understand the necessary (or necessary and sufficient) conditions for the arising of consciousness, in the sense that is usually meant by the word "understand"?

I think it is possible, and even likely, but if something passes all the tests (meets all the conditions) someone could still claim that it isn't "really" conscious and there would be no way to prove them wrong because the subjective experience cannot be detected (by definition).

To summarize, if you now concede that objective tests are good enough to reasonably ascertain whether something is conscious, then your previous criticisms of the Turing test are no longer valid.
« Last Edit: 2003-02-03 19:26:22 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
garyrob
Neophyte

garyrob@mac.comI
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #43 on: 2003-02-03 22:58:00 »

--

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
grobinson@transpose.com
207-942-3463
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #44 on: 2003-02-03 23:48:44 »

Quote from: garyrob on 2003-02-03 22:58:00   

That simply isn't logical.

To reject one objective phenomenon as a test while accepting the possibility of others is not equivalent to changing one's mind, or to asserting that both X and not-X are true.

I'm probably not the only one that thought you were being inconsistent. You reject the Turing test because it is hypothetically possible to display behavior that appears conscious without actually being conscious. I merely pointed out that you can use the exact same reasoning to reject any possible objective evidence of consciousness. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: