Re: virus: the intellocracy...and you.

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 17:57:03 MDT

On 19 Aug 2002 at 16:32, athe nonrex wrote:

> [joedees]
> >All in all, an interesting essay.
>
> [athenonrex]
> wow...that's high praise coming from you.
>
> okay, you're right i guess. i suppose the mistake
> of a hasty generalization was made on my part concerning
> the system of our "great" nation, but alas, does the
> government always follow the rules and laws it tries to make the
> populace follow? perhaps better stated: does the govenment ever
> violate the constitution, the US's holy grail, without first amending
> the constitution? i do believe they have.

Yes, but when they're caught, there's usually legal hell to pay. See
Watergate, Iran-Contra.

> there may be "laws" that the majority can only have so much
> legislative power, but when it comes down to it, the majority is still
> in control to the bitter end. (with the exceptions of course when the
> military takes command, et cetera...)

Like the US National Guard enforcing integration of Southern schools in
the '60's.

> polititians are always going to pander to the audiance that will get
> them the most votes, and therefore into office. this is only the
> logical thing to do if one is trying to get into office. and who has
> the most votes? obviously the majority does.

Cynical politicians indeed do promise the majority that they will cater to
their unfair desires in order to garner their votes, but upon subsequent
election, when the politicians attempt to keep such promises by passing
laws designed to so unfairly cater, they are generally challenged in
court and ruled unconstitutional. In fact, one of the reasons that cynical
politicians are willing to promise and subsequently attempt to pass such
laws is that they know that this will happen.

> i, in the section of US politics, was only trying to provide the image
> of our country in a manner that was ad populem and to my favor, as was
> what the assignment called for. that did however lead me to a hasty
> generalization...que sera sera...

You might do a google search on meritocracy, and see how close this
ancient model is to what you propose.