Re:virus: The Middle-East \"crisis\", A Plausable Solution

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 16:37:26 MDT

On 3 Aug 2002 at 23:23, Mark Collins wrote:

> On Saturday 03 August 2002 10:41 pm, you wrote:
> > On 3 Aug 2002 at 22:34, Mark Collins wrote:
> > > I call them as I see them.
> >
> > And you are blind.
>
> While I may have a slight vision impairment (eye dominance problem),
> this does not make me blind.

I'd say it is an "i" dominance problem.

> > >In every other post I have seen from you
> > > (granted, I haven't been on the list very long), you have gone out
> > > of your own to put down non-US cultures.
> >
> > I tell the truth about the Qu'ran and its influence on contemporary
> > terrorist culture.
> >
> > > You make plenty of claims to
> > > which you offer to evidence,
> >
> > I quote the Quran itself, as well as Osama Bin laden, concerning
> > purposes, pwerspectives, and religious motivations and rewards.
>
> You quote translations of the Koran and a single extremist.

I could quote many other extremists; do you wish me to do so?

> Eastern
> languages do not translate into English all that well, and as a result
> things get mistranslated. What could be translated as aggressive
> writing could also be something passive. Plain and simple.

Sorry, Charley; many of the the former Muslims on
http://www.secularislam.org/
are quite capable of rerding the Qu'ran in the original Aramaic and
translating it accurately; it is rather difficult to see how "beseige them at
every side and kill them wherever you find them', to quote one of
hundreds, could have been so grossly misconstrued.

> Hell, the myriad of different spellings for names is an example of
> this. You can't even maintain consistant spellings of the Koran in
> this post.

Qu'ran and Koran are the two dominant english spellings, with the
former gaining contemporary ascendancy, while the latter was
historically preferred.

> I have seen quotes from the Koran which give a very different
> impression. Are you aware that there are several different "sects" of
> Islam? Some of which are militant, and some which believe in different
> things?

The fundamentalist Muslims consider them to be apostates. and the
major divisions, Shi'a, Sunni and druse, have all been associated with
terror, the most rabid (and quite populous) divisions of Sunni Islam,
Saudi-based Wahhabism and Kashmir-based Deobandi, proudly and
explicitly so.

> Obviously not, or you wouldn't paint them all with the same brush. > >
> and you refuse to let anyone question > > the values of these claims.
> > > They are free to question them, and I am free to answer their
> questions. > they are free to contend otherwise, and I am free to
> refute their > contentions.
>
> Yet you respond to the questions in emotional ridden rants laced with
> Ad Hominems.

Spounds like you; I respond to bullus shittus ad hominems with the
derision and contempt they so richly deserve.

> > > You're also a bigot, too.
> >
> > I am nothing of the sort. The burden of proof that your ad hominem
> > is anything but the hysterical screed of a rabid ideologue is on
> > you.
> >
> Yet two people have called you a bigot independantly of each other in
> the last 2 hours?

Ad Populum arguments are likewise flawed (and have been, in greek
logic, for 2500 years) ; the existence of two ideologically extremist twins
mouthing the same canards on a list of several hundred, and opposed
in those opinions by others on the list as well as myself, is hardly
consensus.

> > > Note: I may suck, but I suck with stule.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could spell it.
>
> I have editors to fix my spelling.

Were they taking a coffee break? I never use a spellchecker for the
same reason I never use a calculator or a syntax checker; such
linguistic and mathematical crutches lead inexorably, in my opinion, to
laziness of mind.