Re: virus: Kirk: Standing my ground

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 15:41:24 MST

[Bill] Divine intervention would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics

[ben] I don't follow that this is true. The second law states that energy
diffuses, does it not? Why would a divine intervention neccessarily break
this law? Of course, we have not defined what constitutes "provable divine
intervention" either, another kettle of stinky fish.

[Bill] which means God would have to exist only in our Universe to operate

[ben] Again I question the premise. If something were able to avoid such a
fundamental observation of our science, is it not possible that it could
also be exo- or inter- (intra- even?) Universal?

[Bill] and if that is the case, tell me which part of our Universe houses
heaven and hell.

[ben] The implied conclusion is that "heaven and hell can't be in our
Universe, therefore according to the two premises above there can be no
divine intervention, therefore there can be no proof of god" unless I
misread you. However, that conclusion relies on other premises as well:
A) the common belief that heaven and hell are somehow "on a different plane"
B) the expectation that they are physical places
C) the belief that we would be capable of finding either if it did exist,
and recognizing it as such.

-ben