Re: virus: Underwater cities - be skeptical.

From: ape (ignorant_ape@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 19:07:47 MST

L' Ermit wrote :-

> Be very skeptical
> Alexandria, Herakleion and Menouthis are real:
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sunken/
> http://www.ancientegyptmagazine.com/underseacities02.htm
>
> As are numerous other Mediterranean Basin sites.
>
> The bulk of the other "finds" have turned out to be overenthusiastic
> interpretation of sidescan sonar images and even photographs of basalt
> formations as found in the Giants Causeway in Ireland and off Cuba and
> Japan. You can see from the images that these could easily confuse a
diver -
> never mind sonar. And yes, I'm pointing you there to see the pictures not
> the text. Despite the claims made on that site it is beyond doubt that
these
> are natural formations.
> http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/phikent/japan/japan.html and
> http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/phikent/japan/japan2.html
> http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/phikent/japan/japan3.html

I agree whole heartedly , herakleion is one of my fave current archaeology
topics , and I was excited at the Japanese find , then graham Hancock dug
his oar in an my sceptical circuit breaker tripped , allowing me time to
think clearly and logically .

yup you guessed it Hancock is a pet peeve :P

but , to inject a memetic perspective into my first thread on COV

I am tempted to see much of this sunken city business , as akin to seeing
faces in the smoke , faces on mars , faces in vegetables ( don't laugh it
makes the news on a slow day ) , and other such contrivances we apes jump to
so readily

with the ` sunken cities ` , its any seemingly regular ` artefact ` < I use
the term loosely > being latched onto as proof , which inturn sends the
imagination into overdrive ` interpreting ` other things as elements of the
"city " .

I offer the mars / clydonia debate , as best demonstration of the lengths
gone to in this field .

this is I would lead me to question , why seem so desperate to see out own
image and or hand in every thing around us , the tentative answer which
some people seem to be subscribing to is :-

the ancients must have left us ` something special ` , they couldn't all
have been as dumb as bricks right ?

that would crush some frail egos , so the cult of the sunken city , screams
shrilly at any straight line real or imagined

this is the flaw in our view of the world that allows von daniken ,
velikovsky , stichin etal thrive and prosper

the longing that there ` must ` be something more .

Yrs - APE