Re: virus: A Gentle Parable of Biology, Aqua-keets and Miracles

From: ben (ben@machinegod.dhs.org)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 19:37:48 MST

[kirk]Read what you said, carefully, then consider what I say.

[ben] Read, appreciated and agreed with. My 'issue' is that in a forum
supposedly reserved for non-emotional debate, the vitriol displayed by both
parties seems out of place. The sterling dissections are diluted and
devalued by the personal attacks. Recently there have two posts on the
matter that have done more to propel the debate than the previous week's
worth of haranguing has done combined. (I didn't save them, and they haven't
made it to the archives at post time - they are Hermit's 20 points and
Yash's eventual release of a source) - Why the detour? The demeanor of
delivery can have great effect, adversarial or beneficial, to the likelihood
of it being accepted by the reader - something I would expect members of a
memetic 'religion' to understand. It is difficult to couch a logical
deconstruction in emotive terms (fuckwit et al) and retain full
effectiveness.

Please do not misinterpret what I'm saying - the few offerings I have made
in my brief time here have been dissected, and not only do I accept it, but
I appreciate it and look forward to more of it. This list is the best mental
whetstone I have found in some time, for that and other reasons.

-ben