Re: virus: more important than love?

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:39:02 MST

You know, I think you've got a point there...
I think the core of the difference between those who live mainly for the possibility of finding romantic couplehood love (the Hollywood kind) and those who live for other things is the focus on the importance of the individual vs. the group. If you don't believe in the goodness of society and see humanity as a group worth working for, what else is there but individual comfort and pleasure? But if you see society as a whole and you feel a part of that group and hope for its future, then you can take purpose and energy from the work of elevating the group in any sense (art, science, standard of living, whatever). That's what I've filtered from the related discussion(s). Loner vs. herd, as has also been discussed.