RE: Hedonism was RE: virus: more important than love?

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 07:05:34 MST

> PS Small aside. I find that the palate never need grow jaded, that new
> experiences and sensations await around every-corner,

I have to agree. When one speaks of the jaded pleasures of the epicure it
often appears to me that what is essentially being advanced is a moral (and
specifically judaeo-christian) critique of pleasure. As I don't accept that
critique (which holds that life is nasty, brutish and short, with ill
defined pleasures only being unveiled in the afterlife) I wouldn't have
thought there to be any constraint present other than a simple need for
variety. Bear in mind that if one is being precise, hedonism is a pleasure
from any source - which can be reading a book or any extreme of libertinism
one might care to pursue.

> and by the Hollywoodyian (to coin an adjective)
> idea that love is forever - and effortless.

I think that the trope in question dates back a little while longer than
that :-), though Hollywood's apparently insatiable thirst for that theme is
beyond dispute.