Re: virus: Question on Israel

From: CJ Stewart (chstewa1@vt.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 10:41:30 MST

>Ever since Truman's memorable quote US support for Israel has commonly been
>viewed in Europe as being attributable to a substantial block of Jewish
>voters. However, as I understand it, said block have traditionally been
>staunchly democrat, while the Republicans have been seeking to recruit
>Muslim members (on the grounds that many of their demands are identical to
>those of the Christian Right). In which case, I am wondering what exactly
>the Republicans have ever had to gain from being pro-Israeli? (I suppose it
>could simply be support for a democratic nation against a militant and
>fanatical Islamic block, but that hardly seems commensurate with paying out
>massive amounts of financial support to many of Israel's staunchly
>undemocratic neighbours). Or am I complicating the issue?

Well, given the fact that the average American cares little-to-nothing (and
knows even less) about foreign policy, that's how the Republicans get away
with it. And why they support Israel? Big business, because industry
requires oil. Israel was for a long time the only semi-reliable ally the US
had in that region (even Saudi Arabia is still something of a matter of
convenience), and so by bankrolling the IDF the US gains a lapdog in the
region that will perform as a guard dog as necessary, keeping the Arab
states in line. I know the analysis is fairly over simplified, but do a
search on it, and you'll come up with some scary stuff.

As far as assigning the fundamentalist angle, I'm not sure that that's as
big a motive as one would think. Remember, the average American cares
nothing about the world. Fun times...

CJ