virus: Question on Israel

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 06:17:46 MST

Ever since Truman's memorable quote US support for Israel has commonly been
viewed in Europe as being attributable to a substantial block of Jewish
voters. However, as I understand it, said block have traditionally been
staunchly democrat, while the Republicans have been seeking to recruit
Muslim members (on the grounds that many of their demands are identical to
those of the Christian Right). In which case, I am wondering what exactly
the Republicans have ever had to gain from being pro-Israeli? (I suppose it
could simply be support for a democratic nation against a militant and
fanatical Islamic block, but that hardly seems commensurate with paying out
massive amounts of financial support to many of Israel's staunchly
undemocratic neighbours). Or am I complicating the issue?