logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 16:38:17 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

Political posts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Political posts  (Read 947 times)
Casey
admin
Adept

Rate Casey

Revere the skeptic.

View Profile E-Mail
Political posts
« on: 2002-08-21 11:38:00 »

Hi David,

What is the purpose of posting threads of a political nature to the Serious Business section on the BBS? 

I suspect it will not prevent any of the verbal sparring, or the highly flammable debates that are inherent in the topics that we discuss. 

I enjoy the posts on politics, as I believe many on the Virus list do.  If not, then those threads would die quickly.  But, the level of interest in the threads is apparent, since so many people on the list respond to them. 

Shouldn't the Virus list evolve on it's own? 

It's apparent that the events surrounding Sept. 11th have left an indelible mark on many individuals, but isn't the open discussion of those events and others of a volatile political nature necessary for our own evolution? 

The list has never shied away from topics of an inflammatory nature or significant relevance.  The only time I can remember the list actually "censoring" a topic is in the case of the "unmentionable one" (EEA).  But, that was a special case, altogether. 

Kind regards,
Casey

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Political posts
« Reply #1 on: 2002-08-21 23:59:42 »

The topic is not censored, everyone is free to discuss it on the BBS.

My feeling is that the list has been overwhelmed by the political discussions to the exclusion of much else. If you want to continue discussing it on the list, I (and I'm sure many others) will simply unsubscribe. Is that preferable?

David
Casey
admin
Adept

Rate Casey

Revere the skeptic.

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2002-08-22 07:33:13 »

You founded the Church of Virus, the list and the BBS, so do as you see fit.

Casey
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2002-08-22 11:04:41 »

Apparently, many virians feel more convenient with the mailing list, while many others also prefer the mailing list because of the greater audience, which is why they consider posting in the BBS as degrading.

Personally, sometimes I take advantage of the slowness of the BBS in the current situation, when I want a post to stay on display for longer, rather than being discussed.

I am not sure what the optimum solution would be. Maybe more persistent appeals to common sense. Maybe more specific rules of conduct for the mailing list. Maybe separate subscriptions to topics of the BBS with corresponding mail lists, so that anyone can unsubscribe from some particular topics while retaining the convenience of the mailing list.
« Last Edit: 2002-08-22 11:05:58 by rhinoceros » Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
What now
« Reply #4 on: 2002-08-25 10:38:23 »

My request is being ignored. Any suggestions on what do? I do have the power to enforce the policy, I can moderate individual subscribers so that everything they post is bounced to me for approval. I can also do the same based on keywords in the messages. Of maybe I should give up trying to influence the direction of the virus list and focus my attention on more interesting things.
« Last Edit: 2002-08-25 10:39:17 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Casey
admin
Adept

Rate Casey

Revere the skeptic.

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2002-08-25 11:32:04 »

David,

You initiated the thread and the request.  You made your point quite clear in your post.  If "offenders" of the policy cannot restrain themselves from posting this material to the mail list, then you have the authority to do as you deem necessary. 

Some of the list subscribers have refrained from creating or contributing to threads of a political nature on the mail list.  While others have continued to post threads of this nature to the mail list---and not just a few contributions, but tens of contributions since your initial request. 

I understand your position.  I was bombarded with the same arguments over and over again after having not scanned the BBS for a day, or so.  It can be grating, especially in light of your request. 

If you have the necessary time to do so, then bounce the posts to their appropriate place on the BBS.  I'm supportive of that.  In fact, it could very well contribute to more people coming to the BBS---if only to read the posts. 

As I read through the new posts this morning I felt a sense of de ja vu.    I said to myself, "have I read this before?", "hmmm, this sounds very familiar.",  "perhaps, David had it right...there may be too many threads involving the same political debates over and over again." 

In other words, you have this person's support. 

See you,
Casey
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: