logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-20 07:03:25 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

CMS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: CMS  (Read 3211 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
CMS
« on: 2002-03-04 17:29:45 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-03-02 19:31:59   

PHP is not so much a language as it is a mark-up methodology (and if you have not loaded the patches to secure it this week, there are some out (this week) which CERT regards as critical.

I installed the PHP-Nuke and PostNuke content management systems at http://www.kumo.com/PHPNuke/ and http://www.kumo.com/PostNuke/ respectively. The latter is a derivative of the former, supposedly with enhancements but at first glance PHP-Nuke looks more mature.

Let me know if you want an admin account to play around with.
Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:CMS
« Reply #1 on: 2002-03-05 11:22:52 »

1) PHP Nuke Admin rights - Yes please.

Other stuff: On the BBS can you add:

2) FAQ section under General
3) Lexicon section under General
4) Ethics section under General
5) IRC Logs section under all categories

Please don't forget:

6) O-line troubles (suggest you do a whois on my client and find out what address mask to use from that as I am still getting a no host error on connect).

7) Spelling Birthday Calendar Modules for YaBB

Is the post from the BBS working? I added a post about 15 minutes ago, and it does not seem to have propagated to forums or the list.

Regards

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2002-03-05 12:30:06 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2002-03-05 13:06:36 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-03-05 11:22:52   

Password sent via email.

Quote:

Good idea.

Quote:

Maybe this could be a sticky topic under Church Doctrine?

Quote:

Church Doctrine again? Or a new Philosophy and Religion board under General?

Quote:

How do you see these being used? I'm thinking that it might be more useful to post the log to the appropriate thread.

Quote:

Please don't forget:
6) O-line troubles (suggest you do a whois on my client and find out what address mask to use from that as I am still getting a no host error on connect).
Let's take this one to IRC.

Quote:

On my to do list. Mods are always risky to apply so I'd like to test them out on a throwaway BBS.

Quote:

8) Is the post from the BBS working? I added a post about 15 minutes ago, and it does not seem to have propagated to forums or the list.
Currently disabled. I will get it going again now that the bbs has been announced.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2002-03-05 13:24:15 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-03-05 13:06:36   

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-03-05 11:22:52   

[lucifer]Password sent via email.

[hermit] thanks

Quote:

[lucifer] Good idea.

[hermit] :-)

Quote:

[lucifer] Maybe this could be a sticky topic under Church Doctrine?

[hermit] Sure

Quote:

[lucifer] Church Doctrine again? Or a new Philosophy and Religion board under General?

[hermit]  Philosophy and Religion board. What I'm after is a set of essays with a main thread, and a series of sub-threads to allow others to comment and extend them... The idea is to place them on virus and then copy/edit replies on the main list to those BBS sections -  allowing people like Raven to see just what is occuring there.
So for now I think there will be:

Introduction
    Virian Ethics
    Godless Ethics
    The search for absolutes
    Religious vs Secular Ethics
    Humanism
    Relativism
    Absolutism

Quote:

[lucifer] How do you see these being used? I'm thinking that it might be more useful to post the log to the appropriate thread.

[hermit] A weblogger isn't smart enough to do this... I see just a sticky topic holding the channel, and the logs posted there by date... if it needs to go to the main-list or other BBS categories, it will need to be done by hand.

Quote:

Please don't forget:
[lucifer] Let's take this one to IRC.

[hermit]  Sure. I'm on-line

Quote:

[lucifer] On my to do list. Mods are always risky to apply so I'd like to test them out on a throwaway BBS.

[hermit]  Sensible :-)

Quote:

8) Is the post from the BBS working? I added a post about 15 minutes ago, and it does not seem to have propagated to forums or the list.
[lucifer] Currently disabled. I will get it going again now that the bbs has been announced.

[hermit]  I thought it might be something like that. No problem

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2002-03-05 15:40:46 »

Also can you add (General):
Humor: A place to store funny stuff.
Poetry: A Place for poetry written by Virians
Call for Votes: A place to notify Virians of Votes elsewhere on the Internet which may be worth addressing

Also:
"Instant Message" seems to be broken:
http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=imsend;to=admin

If we don't have an Amazon account for the CoV can we set one uphttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/associates/join/associates.html. I'd like to hot-link to books from the FAQ page (and other places) and would feel funny using my account for permanent postings.

We also need a link from the ChurchOfVirus.com and virus.lucifer.com web sites to the BBS.

Thanks

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2002-03-05 17:22:11 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2002-03-05 19:09:57 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-03-05 15:40:46   

Added.

Quote:

Call for Votes: A place to notify Virians of Votes elsewhere on the Internet which may be worth addressing
  General is getting pretty crowded...

Quote:

Also:

Works for me. What error do you see?

Quote:

If we don't have an Amazon account for the CoV can we set one uphttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/associates/join/associates.html. I'd like to hot-link to books from the FAQ page (and other places) and would feel funny using my account for permanent postings.

The CoV signed up with Amazon on the very first day. The associate code is /thechurchofvirusA/

Quote:

We also need a link from the ChurchOfVirus.com and virus.lucifer.com web sites to the BBS.

Will do.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2002-03-05 19:27:26 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-03-05 19:09:57   
Quote from: Hermit on 2002-03-05 15:40:46   

[lucifer] Added.
[Hermit] thanks.
Quote:
[lucifer] General is getting pretty crowded...
[Hermit] What to do? There will no doubt be additional categories later... Perhaps we should rather change the description of news to handle announcements, news  and alerts - not necessarily related to the board? In which case I'll start a "news:Polls" thread. Would you tag the first entry as sticky or make me a moderator there so that I can do it. Thanks.
Quote:
Also:
[lucifer] Works for me. What error do you see?
[Hermit] works for me too now. I got a URL not found while trying to send you a private message from a message you had posted in 2002.
Quote:
[lucifer] The CoV signed up with Amazon on the very first day. The associate code is /thechurchofvirusA/
[Hermit] Thanks I'll use that. We should add this to a CoV FAQ. I'll think on what to do there. We should add the paypal details there too.
Quote:
[lucifer] Will do.
[Hermit] Grins.
« Last Edit: 2002-03-05 19:41:45 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2002-03-06 02:54:35 »

And if you would be so kind as to make "Current News" under News sticky, that would be good. As would a fix to generalize the front page a bit. I have asked somebody who has been tracking "items of interest to atheists" to consider posting there.

Tywick
Archon

Rate Tywick

better_white_meat tywick
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2002-11-14 02:12:45 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-03-04 17:29:45   
I installed the PHP-Nuke and PostNuke content management systems at http://www.kumo.com/PHPNuke/ and http://www.kumo.com/PostNuke/ respectively. The latter is a derivative of the former, supposedly with enhancements but at first glance PHP-Nuke looks more mature.

Let me know if you want an admin account to play around with.

I would like an account too so I could play/compare/contrast  PHP-Nuke and Post-Nuke.

I'm sure you've already starting playing around with XOOPS which is also based on PHP-Nuke.  It actually works better with ported/converted forums to CMS (ie PHP-BB, IBF) since modules are accessed via directory rather than a module file.

Currently I am too much of a PHP moron to actually get IBF or PHP-BB to work the way I would like them with XOOPS.

I'm also thinking of doing some Plone testing either at http://madisonunderground.com or http://testlab.tywick.com

Please let me know if you would like help with XOOPS also what is the URL for your test of XOOPS?
« Last Edit: 2002-11-14 02:39:24 by Tywick » Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2002-11-15 11:09:15 »

Quote from: Tywick on 2002-11-14 02:12:45   

I would like an account too so I could play/compare/contrast  PHP-Nuke and Post-Nuke.

Both allow you to register yourself.

Quote:

Please let me know if you would like help with XOOPS also what is the URL for your test of XOOPS?

I don't have a test XOOPS installation yet.
Tywick
Archon

Rate Tywick

better_white_meat tywick
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2002-11-17 03:00:02 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-11-15 11:09:15   

Both allow you to register yourself.

Tywick is now registered on both CMSs

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Everything2
« Reply #11 on: 2002-11-21 11:40:22 »

I'm thinking of installing the e2 core (system that runs Everything2) on lucifer.com as a CMS. I like Wiki, but this looks better. Also looks like a lot of work to install. Does anyone know of a better system?
Tywick
Archon

Rate Tywick

better_white_meat tywick
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2002-12-08 15:04:14 »

I know this is a bit off-topic of CMS, however, I have set-up Invision Board BBS for playing around with and seeing how it works compared to YaBB SE

The URL is http://test.madisonunderground.com/ibf

If like register and see how you like it.

I attempted to install YaBB SE but I keep getting nothing but errors.  I was wondering if you could set one up for me test.madisonunderground.com/yabbse

Thanks

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Everything2
« Reply #13 on: 2002-12-09 10:54:21 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-11-21 11:40:22   

I'm thinking of installing the e2 core (system that runs Everything2) on lucifer.com as a CMS. I like Wiki, but this looks better. Also looks like a lot of work to install. Does anyone know of a better system?

On Hermit's suggestion I put quite a bit of work into investigating Zope, CMF and Plone as an alternate CMS platform. Though I'm impressed by the direction of the systems, my conclusion is that they are not ready for prime time. The discussion products are primitive compared to YaBB and I was never able to get the Wiki clone working properly (and neither has anyone else in the plone community other than plone.org afaict). I do have high hopes that we will be able to take advantage of these technologies down the road simply because Python is easier to work with than PHP. Perhaps in a year or two.

In the mean time I've installed PhpWiki and integrated the user authentication with this BBS. If you are interested in beta-testing, let me know. Otherwise expect a general announcement on the BBS in a few days.
Tywick
Archon

Rate Tywick

better_white_meat tywick
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-08 05:20:22 »

I'm in the midst of converting YaBB SE 1.4.1 for use with XOOPS 1.3.6

Perhaps when it's finnished I'll be able to write a SQL converter from YaBB SE to XOOPS for the CoV to use.  Chances are it will be quite a few months before I can get a truely stable version of this working.

In the mean time I was thinking that the BBS could be tweaked to look more integrated with the rest of the CoV site so that it looks like part of the site. Mainly adding the BBS (forum) to the right menu bar (see picture below) and placing the right menu bar into the BBS.

Let me know if you would like me to edit YaBB SE to accomplish this.  It shouldn't be too hard IMO.

Right now the XOOPS YaBB is being kinda tricky in regards to passing over membership data. Progress can be viewed at Test XOOPS, and YaBB SE port to XOOPS.

It is my impression that you didn't have too much trouble getting Wiki to work off YaBB SE in which case I think it should be fairly easy to get to work with XOOPS. That will be another nice advantage of a CMS.

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: