logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-16 09:05:13 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

IM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: IM  (Read 1667 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
IM
« on: 2002-01-31 14:21:18 »

[Raven 1] Tying in AIM would probably be easy - my Warlocks game now uses AIM to inform players when a game is awaiting their attention. There's a fairly simple Perl module for it, and if you're not using Perl, you could easily reverse-engineer that and put it in another language, because it's all source code.

[Racen 1] ICQ is apparently a pain - recent protocol changes haven't been librarified yet, except by libraries that also incorporate graphical elements and would thus require heavy deconstruction.

[Raven 1] I'm not familiar with the MS or Yahoo message services for such things, but I'd guess Yahoo's to be easiest of all. And I expect IRC would be a piece of cake, being old and thoroughly established with libraries, but harder to tie users to because they have to be on the same network and may not even have their own name at the time, and such.

[Hermit 1] As a lifetime proponent of KISS, my feeling is that the easiest of all would be to run an IRC server on lucifer. The users can then connect via a WebPage embedded JavaClient or using a conventional IRC client. User and Channel names would be protected by using the BBS authentication module for validation, and the whole process is relatively trivial, light-weight (2000 heavy users on a PII 250 and a T1) and well understood technology... Besides, IRC2+ is a very simple protocol - and it is easy to make posts to it under program control.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:IM
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-31 15:06:52 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-01-31 14:21:18   

[Hermit 1] As a lifetime proponent of KISS, my feeling is that the easiest of all would be to run an IRC server on lucifer. The users can then connect via a WebPage embedded JavaClient or using a conventional IRC client.

Your wish is my command. Check out http://virus.lucifer.com/jpilot/chat.html.

Currently the user has to enter their own nick. If you like this IRC client I will register it (to get rid of the annoying nag messages), and I will write a PHP script that will automatically use their BBS name for the nick.

Hermit, are you familiar with IRC bots? I assume that is how channels are kept open and nicks are protected permanently. Any help in this areas would be much appreciated.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-31 15:32:48 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-01-31 15:06:52   

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-01-31 14:21:18   

[Hermit 1] As a lifetime proponent of KISS, my feeling is that the easiest of all would be to run an IRC server on lucifer. The users can then connect via a WebPage embedded JavaClient or using a conventional IRC client.
Your wish is my command. Check out http://virus.lucifer.com/jpilot/chat.html.

Currently the user has to enter their own nick. If you like this IRC client I will register it (to get rid of the annoying nag messages), and I will write a PHP script that will automatically use their BBS name for the nick.

Hermit, are you familiar with IRC bots? I assume that is how channels are kept open and nicks are protected permanently. Any help in this areas would be much appreciated.

Re Server
I am very familiar with all aspects of IRC (IETF committee). Adding a services daemon is not at all difficult.

Re Client
Do they want you to pay to register the JavaClient? If so, how much and do you get source? It doesn't look very smart to me...

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2002-02-01 16:19:52 »

After extensive testing the best open source client providing web access I have found seems to be EIRC obtainable from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10373

Services "nickserv/chanserv/operserv" should be obtained from http://www.ircservices.za.net/.

The IRC daemon I recommend is the DALnet implementation Bahamat, which can be obtained from http://ircd-devel.dal.net/. DALnet is currently running release 1.4.8.

One of the better sources of help is http://www.ircdhelp.org/
« Last Edit: 2002-02-01 16:23:11 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2002-02-08 12:52:28 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-02-01 16:19:52   

After extensive testing the best open source client providing web access I have found seems to be EIRC
Now available on the main toolbar.

Quote:

Services "nickserv/chanserv/operserv" should be obtained from http://www.ircservices.za.net/.
Compiled OK but I can't figure out the magical conf settings to get it to connect to the local server. I get the following error in the log file:

[Feb 07 19:57:47 2002] Services 4.5.27 (compiled for ircd.dal Bahamut) starting up
[Feb 07 19:57:47 2002] Databases loaded
[Feb 07 19:57:47 2002] unknown message from server (ERROR :Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 (No C/N conf lines))
[Feb 07 19:57:47 2002] Read error from server: Success

I added the C/N lines after it complained about not finding them, but now it appears that the C/N conf lines are different? Any help appreciated.

Quote:

The IRC daemon I recommend is the DALnet implementation Bahamat, which can be obtained from http://ircd-devel.dal.net/. DALnet is currently running release 1.4.8.
Up and running (1.4.29).

Quote:

One of the better sources of help is http://www.ircdhelp.org/
Yes, it did help with getting Bahamut running, thanks.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2002-02-17 23:28:52 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2002-02-01 16:19:52   

Finally got services running as of today. I also created a chat button for the main menu bar.

Anything manadatory left to do before announcing to the list?
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2002-02-21 03:55:11 »

Well done re the IRC.

Re IRC Thanks for the O line - but notice my message re addresses.

I miss the alternative client scripts you had previously. Choice is good. A toplevel thread on the BBS "Virus Online" (a place to explain IRC and IRC clients - I'm working on some help pages, an Acronym list, and a "best of vIRusC") would be good - as would a weblogger in #virus to track discussions there. (A very trivial log-bot. There are many scripts available for this. I like 'Chump' (as you know, I'm fond of Python).  Ask if you need help.)

Apropos of something, a top-level BBS section (including formatting instructions for mail/bbs?) would also be good. I've got my FAQ more or less ready to roll out in a formatted version - (I'm  waiting on the ability to make larger posts due to the editing difficulty) along with the hold/release flag, but have mailed you a webberized version that should match these pages - I'll do more later once I see the path to it.

Have you thought a bit more about how to do a CMF/Web? I have a lot of FAQish things on the ethics/politics/saints side which I have been putting on hold for this. A "Best of Virus" section might also belong here - and looking at the quality of some of the Virian poetry perhaps we should include a poetry section. I'd also like a "definitions section"

More on the above, I downloaded Zope 2.5 (Zope.org) today and hope to be playing with it soonish. The available database interfaces have improved a lot. I think I could do things with it. I'm going to transform the Founding Document into that format and see how much I hate it 

Aside from the above - which I would like to see (but then, I'm greedy), I'd say the BBS is pretty much ready to roll out whenever you want to.

Kind Regards

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2002-02-21 03:55:40 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2002-02-23 21:36:12 »

I forgot to mention that I changed the post size limit to 9999 chars. Is that sufficient?

While you look into Zope I will check out PostNuke. I am fond of python, but I've also become fond of PHP since hacking YaBB.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2002-03-02 19:31:59 »

Ok. Thanks. Yes, it is looking good. I tried to monster posts and both worked well.

I've dropped what is hopefully the last revision of the Formatting FAQ in BBS format into the Suggestions thread without any problem, and will make some changes to the Web page to bring it into alignment.

Did you receive/have a chance to look at the web pages I dropped off in your mail? One of which gives an idea of what I meant when I suggested a "floating menu."

PHP is not so much a language as it is a mark-up methodology (and if you have not loaded the patches to secure it this week, there are some out (this week) which CERT regards as critical.

Python on the other hand is undoubtedly a language, and a rather good one in my opinion. Of course, Python and PHP do play nicely together.

I've been tied up with a business plan exercise and fixing clients who needed help with the SNMP routing updates so I havent looked at the Operserv problem yet. Have you had a chance? If not, can do tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Hermit

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: