logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 20:44:06 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Arts & Entertainment

nonfiction music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: nonfiction music  (Read 955 times)
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
nonfiction music
« on: 2005-04-17 22:56:13 »

In all forms of expression i think the heights are reached by descriptive non fictional accounts put to a format that is pleasing to the senses.  That's why i want to test everyone for any knowledge of nonfiction music.  All that i really know of it is They Might be Giant's James K Polk, and geography songs.  I think a good DJ and a rapper with a neuroanatomy or embryology text book would really make the world a better place.
so, post nonfiction music here.
Report to moderator   Logged
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
Re:nonfiction music
« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-22 17:15:29 »

Well, that's not really the kind of reply i had in mind.  Here is another suggestion that i can think of that fits in nonfiction music:
Tom Lehrer - he made many satirical political songs and general high society music in the fifties.  If you have any favorite songs or albums by him then describe them and why you like them.

See what i'm getting at, Chipped?  It's not about what music you don't like, but rather what music describes reality with style.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-22 17:17:40 by fishsuit » Report to moderator   Logged
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
Re:nonfiction music
« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-22 23:33:47 »

Quote:
the derided good charlotte and "lifestyles of the rihc and famous" song, is a good example of a society upset with the glutonus fit of 'high class'.

I don't know the song, but it sounds more like caricature.  Does it describe historical people or interesting occurences of significant impact?  Here's a few more examples.  The Pixies have a song about the creator of the eiffel tower, and it tries (i think) to capture the mood of the construction.  They also have a song about Dali's experimental videos, which were interesting.  In one of the videos an eye is cut open with a razor, and i think the Pixies mention it. 
My dad mentioned Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald written about a ship that went down in the great lakes during an extreme storm. 
So there are a few more. 
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: