logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2023-06-04 20:33:37 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

  Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2006

  virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow Virian is a racist
previous next
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow Virian is a racist  (Read 1622 times)
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.12
Rate JD





View Profile
RE: virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow Virian is a racist
« Reply #15 on: 2006-01-18 08:26:22 »
Reply with quote



> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-virus@lucifer.com
> [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of Blunderov
> Sent: 17 January 2006 20:51
> To: virus@lucifer.com
> Subject: RE: virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow
> Virian is a racist
>
> [Blunderov] It was not my intention to ask you to defend a
> position which you do not hold. But I feel compelled to
> clarify the logic involved here.
>
> It was my position that you may have implied:
>
> The underclass is black.
> Only the underclass remained.
> Of those who remained, some were too stupid or lazy too leave.
> Therefore: the only ones too stupid or lazy to leave were black.

This is a circular reference. We know that the class of people "Those who
remained" contain sub-classes "The stupid",  "The lazy" and "the unable to
leave".

If the only people who remained were black (they were not and I did not say
they were) and some of those people were lazy and stupid, then of course the
only lazy and stupid people *who did not leave* are black because EVERYONE
who did not leave is black!

I can substitute any subclass and formulate the same statement:

Only the underclass is black
Only the underclass remained
Of those who remained some were brilliant.
Therefore: the only brilliant people to remain were black.

Your conclusion, whilst logically sound (if you accept the premises, which I
do not),  is wildly misleading.

Only a staggering level of bad faith could extract that this deeply
misleading statement from my two line statement that did not even mention
blacks at all!


> I continue to maintain that your original statement was
> sufficiently ambiguous as to reasonably allow this interpretation.

There was no ambiguity at all. It was a two line statement in which I stated
clearly that:

1. The people who remained were predominantly an underclass - the urban
poor. This is not really disputed.
2. I said that those that remained were further broken into several classes:
The stupid, the lazy, those who could not leave.

These are facts and facts cannot be "racist".


> I think probably you are the victim of your own punctuation.

I was speaking. Maybe listen to the audio. It is only 8 minutes and you will
see that this is a fuss over nothing.


> And possibly relevant too, is that various communications
> media are involved. A podcast.
> An IRS chat at which the podcast was discussed. A log of the
> chat. A blog. A mailing list. An RSS feed. It's a
> McLuhanesque nightmare!

Indeed!

> But that aside. On this we are more in agreement:
>
> "Even better, get rid of it entirely."
>
> Yes. IMO characterising such attacks as "racially motivated"
> usually tells us nothing useful at all about the incident,
> and indeed (usually) raises more questions than it answers, if any.
>
> Usually but not always. "Four black men burst into the
> Greymont liquor store today and robbed it" is a gratuitously
> racist statement.

Why? How can a statement of fact be racist?


>"Blacks at the meeting chanted 'one
> settler, one bullet' is not. Most unfortunately the press
> seems to have persistent difficulty in drawing this
> distinction. So perhaps it is better to get "rid of it
> entirely" as you say.

Not sure what you mean :-(


> PS Loved "Bowfinger" btw. I'm an Eddie Murphy fan. Did you
> see "Holy Man"?
> Not quite as good as Bowfinger but very funny too.

No, but I will get it out soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Kind regards

Jonathan

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.12
Rate JD





View Profile
Re:virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow Virian is a racist
« Reply #16 on: 2006-01-18 10:23:07 »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Mermaid on 2006-01-18 00:57:50   

my two line precise version sums up the several paragraphs of paranoid rant in your blog entry.

why do i read your blog?

umm..err....oh gee..well..BECAUSE I CAN!

i read your (occasionally) racist blog for the very same reason you choose to put it up the internet. you do know where to harvest good links tho' on a variety of other subjects tho'...

There are easier ways of saying "I love you" 
Report to moderator   Logged
Mermaid
Archon
****

Posts: 770
Reputation: 8.70
Rate Mermaid



Bite me!

View Profile
Re:virus: Deeply unfair accusation that fellow Virian is a racist
« Reply #17 on: 2006-01-20 12:44:22 »
Reply with quote

true.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Church of Virus BBS | Powered by YaBB SE
© 2001-2002, YaBB SE Dev Team. All Rights Reserved.

Please support the CoV.
Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS! RSS feed