logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 21:54:36 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Comments on source documents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Comments on source documents  (Read 874 times)
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Comments on source documents
« on: 2005-11-22 12:36:08 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2005-11-22 12:44:40 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Comments on source documents
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-22 14:34:55 »

[Hermit 2005] This NeoConArtist's propaganda was refuted the first time around. We can dig through the archives to refute it again if anyone needs it. Some examples can be seen in the Source Document thread, reply 5 dated at 2003-09-02:

[Hermit 2003] So, are those who voted that the US represents the greatest threat to world peace in 2003 correct? Are we going to have a war with Iraq? The last two paragraphs of the Washington Post article might provide a clue.  "Only later did it become clear that the president already had made up his mind. In July, the State Department's director of policy planning, Richard N. Haass, held a regular meeting with Rice and asked whether they should talk about the pros and cons of confronting Iraq. "Don't bother, Rice replied: The president has made a decision."

[Hermit 2005] And this at the time when our NeoConTroglodite is asserting (no sign of research or evidence) that the US was trying for "peace" and when the US was actively working to prevent and preempt the UN inspectorate while already engaged in a documented illegal air war against Iraq (See the memo as well as Re:Acknowledging the disaster, Reply #6 on: 2005-11-22).
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-23 05:09:50 »

« Last Edit: 2005-11-24 11:31:39 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-23 14:54:29 »

[Hermit] Due to extensive use of color in this reply, this post is probably better viewed in the trash on the BBS than in email. Click here  and read reply 3 to navigate straight to it.

[Hermit] I will mark Mr Dees' latest missive as follows: "putative insults" in red, "editorializing" in green, "unsubstantiated opinion" in purple, and respond to anything left behind. I suspect that this might be a short job. Let's see.

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] To fallaciously claim that something has already been refured is a nonsubstitute for actually refuting it, but that is the best that Hermit can do.Not one of the facts I presented above were addressed

[Hermit] This is, of course, false. As seems usual these days, Mr Dees provided much opinion (most wrong and what wasn't wrong, slanted), some speculation  (biased) and few facts (carefully cherrypicked). And this is not merely an opinion, it is supportable. Lets take just one alleged fact (cherrypicked, but I try not to establish universal absolutes and can't resist playing with them when my opponent does) to prove that Mr Dees is wrong again as usual.

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] As can easily be seen by anyone who can read the British document, the conclusion that intelligence was being fixed around the policy was C's opinion (whoever C was), rather than acknowledged fact, and this contention was subsequently dispelled by an investigastion conducted by the US Congress.

[Hermit] C is the Director of SIS (MI6) Foreign Intelligence Service. The position is traditionally anonymous and letter designated. At the time of the memorandum it was held by Sir Richard Dearlove, an SIS professional with 40 years seniority. The equivalent position in the US would have been George Tenet, Head of the CIA. Note that this means that the statements on intelligence are not supposition but fact, as the SIS was tasked with working with the USA and that would have been under C's direction. Trivial googling - or looking at any of the references I provided you, would have enabled you to speak from knowledge and avoided making an ass of yourself. Here are all the "playas."

[Hermit] As repeatedly shown, most recently in  the referenced "Re:Acknowledging the disaster, Reply #6 on: 2005-11-22" thread, Judge Laurence H. Silberman, the Chairman of Bush's commission on weapons of mass destruction (not intelligence, but given it is the only related completed commission I presume it is the "investigation" you are refering to) has stated, "Our executive order did not direct us to deal with the use of intelligence by policymakers, and all of us were agreed that that was not part of our inquiry." The only committee investigating intelligence use in this matter in Congress is the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence - which has not yet finished its inquiry into whether officials mischaracterized intelligence by omitting caveats and dissenting opinions - nevermind issued an opinion. Needless to say, it appears as if it is not the Democrats holding up its self-serving progress.

[Hermit] So I refered directly to previous posts which dealt with at least one of the putative "facts" (more accurately denoted as a fallacious argumentative opinion), thus "addressing" "one of the facts" Mr Dees trailed through the mud "presented above". And so, Mr Dees is proved to be wrong yet again! As usual.

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] - mainly because they are indeed facts, and as such, are not amenable to rhetorical dissolution.

[Hermit] Is Mr Dees correct? Or is Mr Dees bloviating again?

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] Instead he continues to indulge  his vomitous habits of pairing ad hominem (Drooling Dees, NeoConTroglodite, etc.) with antisemitism (the preverbial and dreaded World-Controlling Jewish Cabal).  Perhaps he should journey to the Hermit Kingdom, where inconvenient facts are more easily cast aside and the Dear Leader's perspective is more efficiently imposed.

[Hermit] I should ignore this, seeing where it is buried, but I think that Mr Dees might really believe that some of what he is spewing has a foundation in fact. So, let me attempt, yet again, to squeeze a few observations into his dribble of consciousness.

[Hermit] Citing the Washingtonpost speculating that the Israelis have effectively taken over US foreign policy is not "antisemitism". Even had I stated here (which I didn't): that it was blatantly illegal for the UN to have established the state of Israel; that the only competitor Israel has for engaging in proscribed activities (read war crimes) is the US; that Israel is demonstrably acting in a genocidal fashion against the Palestians; and even that her reign is brutal, her actions tyranical and our attitude toward her an embarrassment is not anti-semitic. Although, unlike Mr Dees' assertions mine are all supportable. The point is that just because a state has attempted to insulate itself from criticism by commingling state, language, race and religion does not mean that criticism of that state is either racism or bigotry. And apropos of something, the Palestinians, Syrians, Iraqi and Lebanese (inter alia) have a much better claim to being "semites" than the typical Israeli (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semites).

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] Of course, another purpose of his is to append a post to this thread, so people would go directly to it, rather than reading the facts which I posted above.  I would urge people to circumvent this subterfuge, by indeed reading them.

[Hermit] Multiply invalid because Mr Dees is speculating (and getting it wrong) about my motives. I am quite aware that few people are bothering with any of these threads any more, and that most of those who do are here to see what - if anything - I have to say. But as the argument is apparently interminable, and Mr Dees is unable to frame his broken replies outside of a Faux TV script, I urge people not to bother reading either Mr Dees or myself on this subject.

[Joe Dees/Salamantis] Once the troops were moved into forward position, the die regarding intervention in Iraq was indeed cast, absent a remarkable, genuine, complete (and not forthcoming) capitulation to all UN resolutions on the part of Saddam Hussein.  If the US had withdrawn its troops after deploying them, this would have been a signal to both Saddam and the UN that the US lacked the resolve to back up with military force its insistence that Saddam change his course; this would have resulted in the further crumbling of UN sanctions, and Saddam aggressively ramping up his pursuit of WMD's via reinvigorated weapons programs - eventualities which it would have been disastrous to allow.

[Hermit] Where a meaning might glimmer through this turgid porridge, I see not one external supporting reference - and numbers of instances of debating fallacy, not least of which is the slippery slope in this last piece. This makes it unnecessary to respond to invalidate the assertions. Like most NeoConArtist ramblings, they are  autoinvalidating.

[Hermit] Scoping the post-colorization document, I see that I was correct. There was, once again and as usual, nothing calling for a response. So why did I waste any time on it at all? Perhaps it may have some education value to somebody.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-23 16:33:14 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-24 11:36:06 »

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: