logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 00:03:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Dutch MP to make gay Islam film
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Dutch MP to make gay Islam film  (Read 849 times)
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Dutch MP to make gay Islam film
« on: 2005-11-17 22:24:54 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Casey
admin
Adept

Rate Casey

Revere the skeptic.

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Dutch MP to make gay Islam film
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-18 14:01:03 »

[Joe Dees]
Mainstream Islamic thought treats Islam and homosexuality as incompatible, and hostility to homosexuals is widespread in many parts of the Muslim world.

[Casey]
I'm not sure what you're attempting to get by posting this.  The same thing is true of Christianity with regard to homosexuality.

I have to admit it's nice being in the only state that recognizes gay marriage.  There's something to be said of equality under the law; especially when you consider that this country has had it's fair share of racism and sexism throughout the course of it's history.  There was a time in this country where it was deemed illegal to marry between the races. 

The irony lies in the fact that I live in a state founded by Puritans.  Yet, despite the puritanical nature of many laws in my state, the state legislature opted to recognize gay marriage.  It's a sad state of affairs when legislators and the electorate choose not to recognize that marriage doesn't have as negative an effect as they would like one to believe.  Gay couples have been allowed to adopt/bear children and there have been no studies documenting the negative effect on the adoptees. 

Which raises the question, why the upheaval?  Why are some people up in arms about gay marriage?  Is it something to do with their own religion?  Is it the regional culture they grew up in?   

Kind regards,
Casey
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-18 19:04:43 »

Casey, the idea that Massachusetts was founded by "Puritans" is complete Tonypandy. See, e.g. Chapter 3 of "Lies My Teacher Told Me.", ISBN 0-684-81886-8, James W Loewen, 1995. While there were 35 "troublesome religious bigots", known as seperatists (they sought to live seperately from the Anglicans) at the time, out of a total of 102 settlers in the first permanent European colony, their village of New Plimoth was built on the still smoking ashes of Patuxet where "in former time hath lived about two thousand Indians" before they were killed off by European diseases (Emmanuel Altham letter quoted in "Three Visitors to Early Plymouth", Sydney V James ed, 1963). While these settlers did manage to establish minority rule, and were remarkably bad for Indians, their Compact was ignored by the authors of the Constitution and their badness (theft, breaking and entry, grave robbing, murder, etc) was not as worse as that of the Brits (all the above plus the first documented use of chemical warfare in the colonies). (Rhino, imagine the field day a literal grammar nazi NeoConArtistTM reviewer could have with that sentence :-)) So all in all they set little in the way of precedence and, for all their narrow minded nastiness, don't deserve the term "founders". In addition even their modern name, "Puritans" was only introduced in the 1870s, when this myth was conjoined to the myth of thanksgiving (which was established by Abraham Lincoln in 1863 (when the Union needed all the patriotism it could dredge up or invent)).  So the "Puritans" couldn't possibly have "founded" anything, as it seems to have been myths that founded the Puritans, long after your state (I assumed you meant Massachusetts, as the US was well colonized long before then - think in order IIRC, South Carolina, Florida, New Mexico, Albany and Virginia) was established (whether by that you mean populated by Red people (which possibly dates back to the pre-Holocene) or white ones.

Still, it is indeed nice that one state of the union does not mandate a particular primative religion's view of "marriage." Indeed, I hadn't realized that that was the case. I wonder if, on the basis of reciprocity, such Massachusetts marriages are recognized elsewhere in the US? Or is there selective rejection of Massachusetts marriage licenses (as there may be for e.g. Islamic licenses and homosexual marriages from other parts of the world, which are I have heard, routinely, if unconstitutionally, repudiated by the US). If so, it would be interesting to see some challenges on the grounds that this contravenes multiple constitutional protections as well as the Constitution's designation of Treaty and International Law. Of course, given the history of the US Government's (Democraters as much as Republican'ts) and The Supremes dissing of the constitution (And Treaty and International Law), we should not hope for too much too soon.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-21 00:32:33 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail