logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 18:29:22 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

libby, the novelist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: libby, the novelist  (Read 1618 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
libby, the novelist
« on: 2005-11-05 06:40:42 »

a published novelist, our neo convict...apparently its full of fun...as befits a conservative politician...its got incest, paedophilia, beastility and scatological....

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/051107ta_talk_collins > from the new yorker

The narrative makes generous mention of lice, snot, drunkenness, bad breath, torture, urine, “turds,” armpits, arm hair, neck hair, pubic hair, pus, boils, and blood (regular and menstrual). One passage goes, “At length he walked around to the deer’s head and, reaching into his pants, struggled for a moment and then pulled out his penis. He began to piss in the snow just in front of the deer’s nostrils.”

Homoeroticism and incest also figure as themes. The main female character, Yukiko, draws hair on the “mound” of a little girl. The brothers of a dead samurai have sex with his daughter. Many things glisten (mouths, hair, evergreens), quiver (a “pink underlip,” arm muscles, legs), and are sniffed (floorboards, sheets, fingers). The cast includes a dwarf, and an “assistant headman” who comes to restore order after a crime at the inn. (Might this character be autobiographical? And, if so, would that have made Libby the assistant headman or the assistant headman’s assistant?)

When it comes to depicting scenes of romance, however, Libby can evoke a sort of musty sweetness; while one critic deemed “The Apprentice” “reminiscent of Rembrandt,” certain passages can better be described as reminiscent of Penthouse Forum. There is, for example, Yukiko’s seduction of the inexperienced apprentice:

He could feel her heart beneath his hands. He moved his hands slowly lower still and she arched her back to help him and her lower leg came against his. He held her breasts in his hands. Oddly, he thought, the lower one might be larger. . . . One of her breasts now hung loosely in his hand near his face and he knew not how best to touch her.

Other sex scenes are less conventional. Where his Republican predecessors can seem embarrassingly awkward—the written equivalent of trying to cop a feel while pinning on a corsage—Libby is unabashed:

At age ten the madam put the child in a cage with a bear trained to couple with young girls so the girls would be frigid and not fall in love with their patrons. They fed her through the bars and aroused the bear with a stick when it seemed to lose interest.

And, finally:

He asked if they should fuck the deer.

The answer, reader, is yes.
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:libby, the novelist
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-07 01:59:04 »

[Blunderov] There is, they say, no such thing as bad publicity.

http://editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001434822&imw=Y

<snip>
Bear Market: Price of Scooter Libby's Novel Soars at Amazon

By E&P Staff

Published: November 06, 2005 6:00 PM ET

NEW YORK Who says alleged crime doesn’t pay? I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby may or may not get a nice book sale out of his upcoming trial, but owners of out-pf-print or autographed versions of his sole novel, “The Apprentice,” are looking to make a bungle right now.

Since the book, which is set in Japan and features some bizarre sex practices, is out of print, amazon.com is not selling it via the usual channels, but instead offering it for sale from individuals. They are peddling copies for $119 and up for the paperback (published in 2002), to a minimum of $745 for the hardback (from 1996).

One seller, with the apt name “Ameribiz,” seeks $2400 for an edition he describes this way: “Inscribed, mint, PRE-FIRST EDITION. The bound 1996 uncorrected page proofs in Brand New MINT condition with inscription handwritten by Libby, himself. Inscription reads: 'To Bob. I hope you enjoy it. Lewis Libby.' A perfect gift for the ‘Bob’ who has everything.”

Let speculation begin on who the original Bob might be. Novak? Woodward?

A seller at barnesandnoble.com, named "Igor," wants $1039 for his copy of the hardback editon.

One recent citizen-reviewer at Amazon wrote: “I paid $4 plus surface-mail shipping, but the price has skyrocketed since Libby was indicted on five counts by special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, and resigned from Vice President Cheney's office. Gee, lucky me.”

Another called "The Apprentice" a “solid book. I thoroughly enjoyed Libby's first novel. Now that he's out of politics (unfortunately) I hope he continues to write!”

The Libby book conjures a young Japanese man who runs a remote mountain inn and becomes trapped in intrigue. The book includes incest, a hunter who wonders if he should shag a freshly killed deer while it's still warm, and a girl kept in a cage and raped by a bear to train her to become a prostitute.

Another review excerpt: “This otherwise played-out story had bear rape. As a bear raper I can say that the idea of turning the tables was quite erotic. But then there was no more animal rape… what’s up with that?”

And one more: “It's probably not fair to rate Scooter's masterpiece without reading it first. It's on my to-do list, after reading his forthcoming book, rumored to be titled ‘Diary of a Jailhouse Snitch.’"</snip>

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-17 20:54:15 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-18 01:24:51 »

[Blunderov] One has to wonder what Boxer's novel has to do with the subject of this thread but no matter; we are all used to this kindergarten petulance by now.

There are two schools of thought about honesty in novel wrtiting. One school holds that the author should write only about what she knows from her own experience; an autobiographical approach. The other school of thought holds that she should write exclusively from her own imagination.

Whichever it is to which Libby has subscribed, neither commends him.

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-18 04:56:23 »

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-18 07:51:34 »

whatever rocks your boat, salamantis joe. whatever rocks your boat.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-18 08:58:13 »

[Salamantis] "I just trying to show that no political party or ideology has a monopoly on bad and raunchy writing..."

[Blunderov] But why? The Mermaid's rhetoric did not go nearly as far as suggesting that this was the case. If it is happens to be true that all neoconfidence tricksters must necessarily be bad writers due to weakness of intellect, it does not follow that all bad writers must be criminals as well.

Why do you seem to feel compelled to rush to the defence of these palookas at every slight whether real or imagined? How is it possible to conclude that you are anything other than a memebot?

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-11-18 10:51:24 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2005-11-18 08:58:13   

[Salamantis] "I just trying to show that no political party or ideology has a monopoly on bad and raunchy writing..."

[Blunderov] But why? The Mermaid's rhetoric did not go nearly as far as suggesting that this was the case. If it is happens to be true that all neoconfidence tricksters must necessarily be bad writers due to weakness of intellect, it does not follow that all bad writers must be criminals as well.

Why do you seem to feel compelled to rush to the defence of these palookas at every slight whether real or imagined? How is it possible to conclude that you are anything other than a memebot?

blunderov, you are trying to understand why joe "salamantis" dees is comparing boxer's description of two breeding horses mate and libby's narrator bit about fucking a still warm dead deer?

i am not even going to venture into ten year old girls were caged with sexually raunchy bears that were 'trained to couple' with female children. imagination and fantasies are personal...conservative values not withstanding. but when it gets published, everything is fair game.

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2005-11-18 12:36:43 »

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-11-18 13:54:47 »

Quote from: Salamantis on 2005-11-18 12:36:43   

Methinks Blunde-Rove protests too much...must be those defensive memetic filters of his kicking in...;~)

Politicians writing bad and raunchy novels is clearly within the purview of the thread.

i dont get the 'blunder-rove' thing. there is not one thing about blunderov that reminds me of rove.

do you?
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-11-18 15:34:42 »

I made an exception and read Miller's book review posted by Salamantis Joe
http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/miller200511160834.asp

I don't know whether Boxer's book is any good, but I can say a couple of things about the review.

Besides the questionable relevance to the topic of the discussion, which has been pointed out by others, I have to say that the reviewer displayed a serious difficulty in comprehending long sentences, a definite opinion that proper school grammar should be preferred over literary devices, and a tendency for easy cracks.

I bet I can do a better job of dissing a book by, say, Charles Dickens, if I look hard enough. Although I'll admit that the "Heh... 'mesh', she said 'mesh'... look here... 'mesh' again" trick should give an easy giggle to the schoolboys. The "Look here, there's sex... horse sex even" trick should fare well too.

In short, this review is a rather weak piece of work.

Posting volumes of reviews and articles published somewhere does not mean anything. The point has yet to be made for each individual article.

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: